Medical Will a history of depression impact future?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MusicDOc124

Staff member
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I know this is a long way down the road. Med school starts this fall for me.

In 9th grade of high school, I had depression and was admitted to an adolescent hospital for 3 days. I think I was diagnosed with depression (the psychiatrist said "minor depression") and social anxiety. I have never taken medications, and have been in therapy since. One of my therapists retired when I was in college, and I eventually went to the ED asking for referrals, eventually to meet my current therapist. I think I was seen in the ED for like 30 minutes before they gave me the referrals.

I don't feel as though I have any mental illness that would hinder working in any way. I know medical schools don't have anything to do with it, but I was just wondering for further down the road

Would licensure be impacted by this? Would I have to disclose something that happened in high school? And finally, is it looked down upon for physicians to be in therapy?

Licensure would not be impacted in your case, and you have nothing to disclose as it is not a legal matter, and it's not something that will put a patient in danger.

As for physicians in therapy - this is individual opinion, and it's hit to miss. There is still a stigma as there is for everyone with therapy and mental health, but this is dwindling away. For what its worth, I think everyone should have a therapist.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
If you are going to start medical school, you should reach out to the student psychological service office for the university where your medical school belongs and ask to talk in general terms about confidential programs or appointments for counseling. Find someone you trust first and when you can start getting help.

Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.