Will a July 1 application get to schools for the first round?

new kid

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2005
Status
Will a July 1 application get to schools for the first round? Or is it too late?

PEN15

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 25, 2005
Canada/Australia
Status
Medical Student
it seems to me that even if you send your application early it doesn't really matter unless you have those DAT scores ready to send as well. Otherwise the schools are just going to wait until they get it anyway. I could be wrong.

OP
N

new kid

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2005
Status
I did some refiguring of my GPA and using the AADSAS system and it comes out like this....

...............May 15......June 15
Science.....3.38..........3.42
BCP..........3.39..........3.44
Overall......3.39..........3.41

In spring I would take a science class that guarantees me an A. Given, the difference isn't very much numerically between may and june, but the overall effect of seeing all 3.3's vs all 3.4's is significant, I believe. It sucks but just looks better. So I was thinking that if I could get away with putting in the application immidiately after spring (last day of finals = june 15), then it would be worth the delay.
I believe that it is possible to send an updated transcript after applying, but from what I understand, AADSAS does not recalculate the difference, rather, they send a copy of the updated transcript to the schools to which one has applied. As a result, the ugly 3.3's remain visual on the application even though an updated transcript was sent.
Now, if the value of having the application in a month prior outweighs that of the GPA factor, then by all means, I will apply in May.
So, now you see the dilemma. First, are my facts straight about AADSAS. Second, Third and Fourth.....what is your opinion of the timing?

DrTacoElf

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2004
www.garyseeba.com
Status
Resident [Any Field]
PEN15 said:
it seems to me that even if you send your application early it doesn't really matter unless you have those DAT scores ready to send as well. Otherwise the schools are just going to wait until they get it anyway. I could be wrong.

Oh it totally does because the day you take the DAT fax those scores in and you are complete.

demonicr

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2003
Visit site
Status
new kid said:
Will a July 1 application get to schools for the first round? Or is it too late?

i don't think it will get to the school on the first batch that AADSAS mail out if thats your question. i applied on june 1st this year and i was on the 4 batch or something like that. however, applying with everything completed on july 1st is considered early. you should be good to go.

eric275

Prosthodontist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 5, 2004
USA
Status
Dentist
new kid said:
If this next cycle is anyhting like this one, then no. AADSAS applications became available May 18th this year and I submitted mine on May 27th. My AADSAS number ended up being 2XX and my application got to schools in the second or third mailing, pretty sure it was the third.

OP
N

new kid

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2005
Status
demonicr and eric275,

I guess my question is not whether my application will be in the first mailing from AADSAS, rather whether submitting the appl. (and everything else) by July1 will get me considered for first round acceptances in december.

toothfairy_TX

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2005
Status
new kid said:
demonicr and eric275,

I guess my question is not whether my application will be in the first mailing from AADSAS, rather whether submitting the appl. (and everything else) by July1 will get me considered for first round acceptances in december.
hi new kid,

Yes, your application will be considered for first round acceptances. I submitted mine around the same time or even after and was still offered interviews for the first round. Everyone is right, you should have your application out ASAP if possible. But, it really isn't THAT big of a deal if its a bit later. If you can submit your stuff, do it. If you really have "issues" with the timing or something, you won't be held back from consideration if it was sent July 1st from first round interviews/acceptances.

Good Luck

OP
N

new kid

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2005
Status
Thanks toothfairy_TX

toothfairy_TX said:
hi new kid,

Yes, your application will be considered for first round acceptances. I submitted mine around the same time or even after and was still offered interviews for the first round. Everyone is right, you should have your application out ASAP if possible. But, it really isn't THAT big of a deal if its a bit later. If you can submit your stuff, do it. If you really have "issues" with the timing or something, you won't be held back from consideration if it was sent July 1st from first round interviews/acceptances.

Good Luck

jini

USC Class of 2009!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 3, 2004
California
Status
new kid said:
demonicr and eric275,

I am sure you would be considered for December acceptance. I also applied July 1, and got quite a few acceptances by Dec.

Tzips

Chocoholic
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2004
Peering around the corner...
Status
Resident [Any Field]
UofT-Girl said:
What about applying near the end of August??

Would that give me interviews during the first round?
Depends on how long the d-schools sit on your app :D . I applied 9/6 and I recieved one acceptance on 12/1, but that was by the skin of my teeth. I'd suggest applying earlier if at all possible.

As for July 1st, AFAIK that should be fine.

Irene010

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2004
Louisville, KY
Status
I agree that the earlier you apply, the better...but if it affects your gpa, waiting a month or so is not that big of a deal. Just make sure that as soon as you have your spring grades, all your other app stuff (LORs, personal statement, etc) are ready to go. I think a lot of people are freaked out, because this 2005 cycle was particularly messy...AADSAS had the bright idea of moving locations right in the middle of the application rush. How dumb was that? So, needless to say, tons of people's stuff got lost, application processing was delayed...lots of applicants suffered b/c of it. Hopefully this 2006 cycle will be a little more under control, but then again, ya never know...each year there seems to be more and more of an increase in the number and competition in the applicant pool. Honestly, I think you're in good shape for July 1; August might be stretching it a little. I applied mid-June and was done with the process by December.

Irene010

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2004
Louisville, KY
Status
UofT-Girl said:
When it comes to LOR's, if i send AADSAS 4 LOR's, will they send all 4 to all of the schools i applied to?
Yep, they should send all 4. I had 4 LORs also, and the schools recieved all of them.

nothen2do

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2004
Status
Had everything in July 8, aadsas number was 27xx, i think I was the 8th mailing (and yes it took a good 7 weeks for them to send) Got 5 interviews before dec.1, 4 or 5 after (which I didn't go to due to school schedule and being burned out from the flying and long interview days). Send in as early as possible, meaning having all of your letters of rec ready to send...