Will a Masters Degree hurt my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ilyscience

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently in a PhD program for Chemistry at a top 10 research institution and am considering switching to a 1 year Masters program and applying to medical school. After reading a few threads on here, it seems like having the Masters on my application might look bad, as I'd have to explain why I got my Masters in the first place instead of going straight to Med School. I just had back surgery and am on a medical leave of absence....with two quarters left to go. Do you think its better if I just leave now without a Masters, get a job as a scribe/EMT/PCT (I have my EMT-B license), or stick it out and get the Masters?

Other than the Masters (if I got it), I have a decent GPA (3.566) from a good undergraduate institution, good ECs, lots of clinical experience.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm currently in a PhD program for Chemistry at a top 10 research institution and am considering switching to a 1 year Masters program and applying to medical school. After reading a few threads on here, it seems like having the Masters on my application might look bad, as I'd have to explain why I got my Masters in the first place instead of going straight to Med School. I just had back surgery and am on a medical leave of absence....with two quarters left to go. Do you think its better if I just leave now without a Masters, get a job as a scribe/EMT/PCT (I have my EMT-B license), or stick it out and get the Masters?

Other than the Masters (if I got it), I have a decent GPA (3.566) from a good undergraduate institution, good ECs, lots of clinical experience.

Any advice would be appreciated!
Stick it out and finish. You have to list all your courses so it would be a much tougher interview question to explain why you didn't finish your almost complete Master's than why you got one in the first place. Also, getting into medical school isn't the easiest thing in the world, so having a Master's could help you as a fallback in that regard. I also agree with @gyngyn that you have to explain why you switched, but it's not any easier of a conversation to have when you not only switched but didn't finish.

I also don't think having one is a negative at all. I think it's a positive or perhaps, depending on the school, a non-factor.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't bail - terminal master's degrees are bad. The program would have lost a huge investment on you. What would stop you from bailing a medical program during/after the first year or two? Stick it out for the PhD. With a PhD in hand, the "change of heart" narrative is not poisoned by the "you just took the easy way out" narrative.

Reactions: 1 user
I wouldn't bail - terminal master's degrees are bad. The program would have lost a huge investment on you. What would stop you from bailing a medical program during/after the first year or two? Stick it out for the PhD. With a PhD in hand, the "change of heart" narrative is not poisoned by the "you just took the easy way out" narrative.

I've only been in grad school for a quarter, so would it really look bad if I changed to a Masters? I don't see how it would be any different than entering directly into the Masters program. If my transcript said "entered PhD program, left with Masters", then I could see this being bad...but I don't think that's the case. Just looking for clarification.

Stick it out and finish. On the other hand, I had a good friend who applied to medical school WHILE working on their PhD. They got in before having a chance to defend their thesis. So they took a leave of absence from graduate school, started medical school, then took a one year leave of absence from medical school between 3rd and 4th year, and finished the PhD in that time... A little confusing, but it worked out!

Changing to a MS will need to be explained, but I don't think it's such a bad thing in that OP should just stay in the PhD program. I've seen people do exactly what you recommend ---staying in a PhD program even though they really don't want to--- and sometimes it works out, but often their work suffers and it really just creates unnecessary headache.

I see no reason why someone who has been in a PhD program for one quarter should stick out the entire PhD before applying to medical school. That is nuts!
Switching to a terminal masters degree will not hurt the applicant's chances of getting into medical school. That said, clinical experience, etc has to be there in the application.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
I am in a similar situation, however I already have a masters and just started a PhD. I ended up leaving the program after a semester and I am going to pursue clinical research while preparing for medical school. You are in a good position because if you do leave, you can actually a take full time clinical research job (and you will likely be well-qualified for Clinical Research Assistant positions if you were accepted into a PhD program). Many clinical research positions will allow you time to work with patients directly while also conducting research (which you already know how to do), and it would be a great way to explain the transition from a PhD to MD. Jumping ship from a PhD and to work as an EMT or scribe might be a bit tougher to explain, plus you can also work part time as either an EMT or scribe, or even just volunteer if you feel like you are not getting enough patient contact.

I left without the master's because I already have one (and I have a high GPA so it wouldn't help in that regard), but even if I didn't, I probably still would have left. I just did not feel I would get anything more out of the experience in the PhD program. A master's could help you academically, but it could also be a waste of time. If you hate it now, then you will have a long year or two ahead while you finish. You will also need to somehow squeeze in volunteering and preparing for the MCAT, and PhD programs are a pretty big time sink. Also keep in mind that academia is very political and (from my experience) many professors look down on medicine; if anyone in your department catches wind of your interest in medical school, news could spread and it could make things very difficult for you (these people grade your coursework).

Also a major deciding factor should be cost, if you do the master's will you be funded? If not, I would leave, you will already be taking on enough debt with medical school, don't accrue more debt pursuing something you don't want.

And I wouldn't bother worrying about leaving the PhD. People change their minds about things and you can't be sure of something until you try it. Also, it would take you at least 4 more years to finish the PhD and by that point life might get in the way of a career in medicine. But keep in mind that you can't be sure of medicine either, so really get involved in the next few years to be sure this is what you want. Medical schools want you to have lots of patient contact and understanding of what it is like to work in a hospital because they want to be sure you know what you're getting yourself into. I would take time off just to be sure of that because who knows, you might decide to go back to the PhD!