Will a Masters in Applied Ethics help me get into Med School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

james1988

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Will it help me be a better doctor?

\

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
depends. what is your uGPA? what is your MCAT score? what do your ECs look like?

so i guess the answer i have is yo. that's a yes and a no.

depends. what is your uGPA? what is your MCAT score? what do your ECs look like?

so i guess the answer i have is yo. that's a yes and a no.

why would this matter?

Members don't see this ad :)
Why would you want to put yourself through all that headache???

You know what prereqs you need for medical school. So why not just do it?

Will it help me be a better doctor?

\

No. Graduate degrees tend to be looked at as nice ECs. Schools like to mention how many of their matriculants have advanced degrees, but rarely have to go out of their way to get them. I wouldn't expect such a degree to have a huge amount of impact. As for being a better doctor, I suppose it couldn't hurt. More interesting would be if you had an interest in combining the degrees. Every hospital has an ethicist panel for doctors to consult on the hard questions.

why would this matter?

because the answers to those things i asked will help you get into med school, not the grad degree in ethics. like Law2doc said,... no. it won't help get you in, per se, but i agree with him that it couldn't hurt making you a 'better' doc. nice plug for the ethics board too. that would be an excellent outlet for your ethicism. <-- new word.

Will it help??? YEs...are there better things to do with your time??? Yes