Will a med school let me know if I am missing a course?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cronutss17

Reaction score
I am currently accepted at an MD school. I already have my bachelor's degree and I am currently in my gap year. I went on their website today and saw that the 2021 cycle requirements were changing (no longer accepting AP courses, physics not required, advanced bio courses now required). The 2020 cycle requirements are nowhere to be found but I was sure that I met them upon finishing my degree and applying. There was nothing during my application process or after my acceptance email that indicated I was missing any requirements. I do not meet one of the 2021 cycle requirements according to their page.

Would the school let me know if I am missing a course? Can they change their requirements for the 2020 cycle this late?

Members don't see this ad.

Sometimes they’ll tell you during interview.

It isn’t a standard practice and I wouldn’t count on it.

What is more likely is your application is rejected but they may disclose the reasons if you ask at the end of the cycle.

What? I was accepted 3 weeks ago, attended their virtual second look, and just got my financial aid package. Maybe I am not wording my question correctly. I was accepted for this cycle, the 2020 cycle. They just updated their pre-reqs for the 2021 cycle (I only know this because I went on their website). I am wondering if this applies to me at all.

Members don't see this ad :)
What? I was accepted 3 weeks ago, attended their virtual second look, and just got my financial aid package. Maybe I am not wording my question correctly. I was accepted for this cycle, the 2020 cycle. They just updated their pre-reqs for the 2021 cycle (I only know this because I went on their website). I am wondering if this applies to me at all.
Oh. No - you're fine. They won't rescind an acceptance for policy made after they offered you a seat for recent retroactive policy changes.
EDIT: a human wouldn't

Last edited by a moderator:
I am currently accepted at an MD school. I already have my bachelor's degree and I am currently in my gap year. I went on their website today and saw that the 2021 cycle requirements were changing (no longer accepting AP courses, physics not required, advanced bio courses now required). The 2020 cycle requirements are nowhere to be found but I was sure that I met them upon finishing my degree and applying. There was nothing during my application process or after my acceptance email that indicated I was missing any requirements. I do not meet one of the 2021 cycle requirements according to their page.

Would the school let me know if I am missing a course? Can they change their requirements for the 2020 cycle this late?
If they just changed their requirements, there is a very good chance your situation will be treated with leniency or that the new requirements were not meant to apply to you at all. Call the school and ask.

It is your responsibility to be sure that you fulfill all requirements prior to matriculation, not the school's. Though some will call and ask what your plan is to complete them, not all med schools "remind" their applicants in this fashion.

Reactions: 1 user
That is incorrect. Medical schools do not typically check for prerequisite fulfillment until after you have admitted in the post acceptance / pre-matriculation phase. Here you must typically have an official final transcript sent directly to the medical school where it is checked for this among other items. If you are found to be missing a course and they do not grant you a waiver you may be forced to defer until you complete it.
Can't see that happening in the real world unless it was a depraved admin working in a silo that could decide to rescind acceptances with no warning or chance to appeal. In which case, bullet dodged.
OP - definitely confirm with the school.

Your applications will be taken into account with 2020 requirements. There are many schools that have different requirements for the upcoming 2021 cycle. Those won't apply to you.

If you are still worried, just call the admissions office and ask them if you are missing any coursework requirement.