SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Will a misdemeanor affect dental licensure in CA?

Discussion in 'Dental' started by usc4life, Jun 13, 2008.

1. usc4life

Jun 13, 2008
    Two days ago I was on my way home with a friend from TGI Fridays. He was pulled over and arrested for DUI. He mouthed off to them and pissed them off. They then arrested me (a passenger!) for "drunk in public." The crazy thing is I hadn't had anything to drink that night whatsoever! They just threw me in the back of the cop car w/o asking me any questions or sobriety tests. I spent the night in jail sober as ever. I am a third year dental student in CA and was wondering if this could affect my dental licensure application next year? It's a misdemeanor charge and I'm contemplating the value of spending thousands to fight it with an attorney. Any advice or first hand experience would be greatly appreciated because I am stressing :(!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. KOM

KOM Senior Member 5+ Year Member

Mar 2, 2006
    If you weren't tested for sobriety, I find it interesting that they still charged you with "drunk in public." Seems like something I would fight to have expunged, but then again, I know nothing of law.

No offense, but getting in a car with someone legally drunk behind the wheel doesn't show very sound judgement (especially if you weren't drinking). In that respect, it might be difficult to fight in court. In terms of your peace of mind, I'd venture a guess and say a misdemeanor such as this won't pose any problem in still gaining licensure.
  4. wenz482

wenz482 2+ Year Member

Dec 5, 2006
    get the police report and see what they stated was their PC for arresting you. Sounds like they had nothing on you so you could probably easily fight it in court w/o spending thousands on a lawyer (poor dental students should qualify for a public defender anyway). Or you could maybe get it dropped w/ no same or similar offenses within a certain period of time. Even though it probably won't affect your licensure, I wouldn't want it on my record for the principle of it...just my opinions
  5. DCRedskinsRule

DCRedskinsRule 7+ Year Member

May 27, 2008
    Not that I'm knowledgeable about the difference, but what class of Misdemeanor was it? Isn't class A the worst and C the least offensive? If it's a class A, you may not be able to get rid of it, but it could most likely be downgraded to a class B or C depending on your attorney.

Best of luck.
  6. My3kGT

My3kGT 7+ Year Member

Apr 4, 2008
    USC also has a fine law school, maybe you could try walking across campus and bounce this off some of the law students. And if your lucky you may even find a new grad who will help out for free or maybe a filling or two.

I think you have a good chance to win even without legal representation if you fight it. Since the can not prove you were drinking a lack of evidence should get the case dismissed.

Good luck.
  7. tinman831

tinman831 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Administrator Dentist Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Dec 11, 2004
    Arrested you without probable cause or evidence? Something sounds fishy here. Either you haven't told us the entire story or you have quite the lawsuit on your hands.
  8. dentalstudent22

Jun 20, 2008

If you were so sober, why weren't you driving instead of your friend?

Sounds fishy to me.
  9. pietrodds

pietrodds 2+ Year Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Pick better friends and drive their drunk butts home if you truly haven't been drinking.
  10. dentalstudent22

Jun 20, 2008
    nice. I point out an obvious hole in this guy's story and he clams up. radio silence answers this question.

sucks that people who make choices like does are going to be dentists, considering all the deserving people out there.

good luck trying to lie and wheedle out of your misdemeanor. we all know that's what you are going to do.
  11. Daurang

Daurang 10+ Year Member

Dec 6, 2006
    Dentists are like everybody else. At my dental school, there are faculty members that are banned from teaching in clinic because they are such alcoholics. One even lost his license due to DUI. Last I checked (yesterday) one is till teacing but still banned from clinic.