USMLE Will a strong Step II score increase my chances of matching?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DancesWithScalpels

Reaction score
Hi, I'm a 3rd year considering IM, and I'm currently studying for step II. I didn't do very well on Step I, landed in the low 220's, and thus I am freaking out because I know I'll be screened out by a lot of institutions right off the bat. Hence, I started taking Step II studying seriously much earlier (2 Q-banks, OME, Kaplan Anki).

However, I just need to know.. will a high score on Step II (250+) make much of a difference for more competitive programs (Mid-Top to Top Tier) or am I just eternally screwed because of my Step 1 hiccup and the system of judgement that goes along with this whole process?

(Sidenote: I've high passed all my other rotations, trying to Honor this one. Have 4-6 presentations under my belt, working on research now)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
most definitely will - especially for IM. One it will get you more interview invites. Two, if you can talk about your hard work to improve on step 2 the right way during interviews, many people will appreciate the work you put in and it will highlight a positive trait in you.

Reactions: 1 users
most definitely will - especially for IM. One it will get you more interview invites. Two, if you can talk about your hard work to improve on step 2 the right way during interviews, many people will appreciate the work you put in and it will highlight a positive trait in you.

Cool! Thanks for the reply!

I think you should be ok, step 2 is important. I been through the process recently. Inbox me for any more questions have or advice I would like to help if I can