Will AMCAS call or email or both to verify activities? One of my contacts said to reach him through email

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wannagotoFlorida!!

Reaction score
The contacts i will reference for almost all my activities will be fine to conact wichever way as I have started reaching out to them already, but one of them said he prefers to be emailed if hes going to be asked to verify/check my hours and timeline of involvement. He also said that he doesn't usually pick up calls from unknown numbers but always checks his email very often and also told me to "make sure they email him" for a quick response. He emphasized this because I told him that im applying the coming May meaning if he gets a call at all, it would be a year out from now or more.

If medical schools call your contact and they don't pick up, will they also try email? Im worried my contact might not pick up a call and I don't want it to reflect poorly on me because adcoms can't properly verify my hours.

Members don't see this ad.

The contacts i will reference for almost all my activities will be fine to conact wichever way as I have started reaching out to them already, but one of them said he prefers to be emailed if hes going to be asked to verify/check my hours and timeline of involvement. He also said that he doesn't usually pick up calls from unknown numbers but always checks his email very often and also told me to "make sure they email him" for a quick response. He emphasized this because I told him that im applying the coming May meaning if he gets a call at all, it would be a year out from now or more.

If medical schools call your contact and they don't pick up, will they also try email? Im worried my contact might not pick up a call and I don't want it to reflect poorly on me because adcoms can't properly verify my hours.
????? Who knows, but it's not very professional for someone at an organization to refuse to answer a phone, and for them to insist on being contacted only a certain way in order to do you a favor by verifying something you put on an application. Maybe you should try to find contacts who are willing to take a phone call if and when that time comes? I'd rather do that than dictate to a school how they have to reach out to a contact -- making such a demand might make your whole activity seem a little sketchy. Why don't you try making yourself hard to reach and see how that goes over? :cool:

1) AMCAS has NOTHING to do with verifying your W&A(EC). AMCAS will not contact anyone on that list
2) It is up to each medical school to verify your W&A.
3) medical schools will typically not verify any contacts until AFTER you have been accepted and usually not until after you commit to enroll. They are not going to waste limited time and resources to do so for applicants who will not be attending their school

Yes, i meant medical schools contacting contacts, not AMCAS. Thats also why i mentioned to my supervisor that he could be getting a call over a year out because I know med schools would verify that once they know you are going to attend.

Members don't see this ad :)
????? Who knows, but it's not very professional for someone at an organization to refuse to answer a phone, and for them to insist on being contacted only a certain way in order to do you a favor by verifying something you put on an application. Maybe you should try to find contacts who are willing to take a phone call if and when that time comes? I'd rather do that than dictate to a school how they have to reach out to a contact -- making such a demand might make your whole activity seem a little sketchy. Why don't you try making yourself hard to reach and see how that goes over? :cool:

They didn't insist but said more that for a quick response they're more easily reachable over email. But that is true, i'll either have to make sure they know what the situation is or list another supervisor/ organization staff that can be reached anywhere

Despite the red asterisks by both blanks (on the AMCAS application) that suggest otherwise, you are only obliged to provide one form of contact info, though you may provide both. For this person, take out the phone number you've entered and leave only the email address.

Reactions: 1 user