Army Will an Asthma Diagnosis Keep me out of MSSP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mr_Churchill

Student
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I mentioned in my personal statement that I had "childhood asthma." I had a visit with my GP last year and asked them to re-evaluate my diagnosis - she stated that I do not have a current diagnosis of asthma. This is contrary to my pediatrician who had in my record for my whole life that I had asthma.

I have not required an inhaler before/after exercise pretty much ever. I have used one PRN but those times were usually when I was also sick with something like bronchitis.

I ran cross-country, swam, and ran track in high school and was fine 99% of the time without an inhaler. I can only think of one instance where I needed it after a race and that was in sub-freezing temperatures in November 2015. I have run competitively since starting college without my inhaler, again only using it PRN when sick (which is < a few times an academic year).

TL;DR: my GP said last year I do not have a current asthma diagnosis. My personal statement says I had "childhood asthma." Will I have issues if I continue the MSSP application process? I have not had my physical yet.

Members don't see this ad.

I don’t know the rules for commissioning but as long as you can still do the apft asthma is not an automatic discharge

I don’t know the rules for commissioning but as long as you can still do the apft asthma is not an automatic discharge

Would this be something I should disclose to my recruiter before I go for my physical? The words "childhood asthma" are written clearly in my personal statement.

Also, as clarification, I am an incoming OMS-1.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would this be something I should disclose to my recruiter before I go for my physical? The words "childhood asthma" are written clearly in my personal statement.

Also, as clarification, I am an incoming OMS-1.
Always disclose your medical stuff, if the army finds out later they can take all your money back

You should be fine. The MEPS docs might ask you about it. If they do just tell them what you said that you had it when you were a child, but have no issues with it now and don't require medication for it. They could do is send you to someone to get a waiver or could just let it go. Up to the MEPS doc.

I would say that it depends on how sever your asthma was.