Will anthropology research hurt my chances at top medical schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

callistanne

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a sophomore majoring in biology and spanish and I'm trying to decide what type of research would be best. My two choices are a neuroscience lab and anthropology research focused in latin america, and I know that the one that I'm most interested in is the Anthropology research, but I dont want this to hurt my chances at top medical schools. I dont want to overextend myself and try to do both, but I also dont want to burn any bridges with either department. Would doing anthropology research be seen as something unique that would add to applications at the top research heavy schools, or would it hurt my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a sophomore majoring in biology and spanish and I'm trying to decide what type of research would be best. My two choices are a neuroscience lab and anthropology research focused in latin america, and I know that the one that I'm most interested in is the Anthropology research, but I dont want this to hurt my chances at top medical schools. I dont want to overextend myself and try to do both, but I also dont want to burn any bridges with either department. Would doing anthropology research be seen as something unique that would add to applications at the top research heavy schools, or would it hurt my chances?
It won't hurt your chances at top schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It won't hurt. But doing field work in Latin America will limit your availability for other things.

I did ethnographic research and was accepted to multiple "top" research-heavy schools last cycle. I know others who did the same as well. Best advice I heard is simply this - excel at whatever you do. And, it is easier to excel in something that you are passionate about.

Further, this does make you a more interesting candidate and gives you something to speak on during interviews that you are excited about.

In short, go for it! That project sounds gnarly. Shoot me your paper/thesis/article when you are done ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Harvard and I think Casewestern have MD-PhD (anthropology) programs, they might think that’s cool. Whatever you do make sure you do something meaningful.

Would be helpful since med schools are placing more emphasis on the nonsciences! :)