will at 10BS score kill me? 33R overall

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jjmack

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

After being a chicken all day I finally looked at my MCAT and was happy with all my scores besides the bio. 12-PS, 11-V, R-WS, 10-BS. I was a bio major at Wash U, but have always found the BS section on the MCAT difficult. I think it's the organ system stuff I never took in college. I was just wondering if anyone thought that the 10 would hurt me for MSTP programs. BTW I have a 3.7 sciene and overall.

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Considering that you have decent research experience, good LORs, and you can interview well, you will be just fine. A 33 MCAT is not that bad, especially when combined with a good GPA (3.7 isn't bad, especially from WashU) and research experience (a few years, pubs not required).

It won't help you, but it won't hurt you either.

Concentrate on the other stuff, and make sure your research is not only good, but presented in a way that lets the adcoms see that. Don't underestimate the essay and research statements/descriptions and, when the time comes, interviews.

Don't worry about the MCAT. You're fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied with your score (33, with 10BS), except I had a 9 in verbal which should have put me at quite a disadvantage...

..honestly, they really care much more about research than a stellar MCAT. I do think you need to make a cutoff to be considered for MSTP interviews at some schools though, and I think 33 may just barely be on the safe side. Again research is much more important, and if you really want to read up on the adcom game, check out http://intransit.us

best of luck -Al

hey,

a 33 isn't bad. my brother got into MD/PhD with a 33. I got a 32, and don't think it's too bad. you're fine.

oh, I also went to WashU, BioE, 3.8 GPA.

I agree with the above posts. My weakest stat was my MCAT score of 30. My GPA was 3.8, and I had strong research, personal, and extra-curricular activities. I was accepted to 7 MSTP positions including Hopkins, Wash U and Columbia.

Give it a shot! Good luck.

Hi there,

Regarding the scores of the individual MCAT sections, do some schools look for higher BS scores in comparison to the scores for VR and PS? If so, which schools may do this?

Cheers,
Kirsteen

The most important score is in the verbal reasoning section. This is followed equally by the physical sciences and the biological sciences sections. Apparently, medical school success is better predicted by your ability to reason and comprehend then by knowledge of pre-requisite material. However, the emphasis on verbal reasoning is not so much that you can slack on the other subjects. It is best to have at least 10s in each subsection rather than do poorly in any one and do well in each other.

Anyways, this is pretty in-depth analysis. In most cases, adcoms will look at your total score and only care about a subsection if it is particularly high or low.

My verbal was an 8 and i still got into few MSTP (total 32: 13B, 11 P). So with low verbal you can also get your foot in the door. After that, it's all about the rest of your application and the interviews. Really not much separates the MSTP applicants that get invited for interviews, so that is where you make your move. Can't stress enough the importance of interviews. I got into 50 % of the schools I originally applied to, but into 100% of the ones that gave me an interview.