Will away rotation rejection have an impact to residency interview invite?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PhoenixAZ

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied to a number of away rotations through VSAS, and have been rejected by several. I wonder if being rejected in their away rotations means I won’t have a chance for their residency interviews (General surgery is my goal) and am a bit worried. Also, several other aways have been complete silence and it has been almost 4 weeks since I applied. Does silence mean rejection? What is the typical timeline to expect to hear back on aways through VSAS? This is quite stressful. Any inputs will be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Usually those who decide on away rotation acceptances are different than those who decide on residency interviews. Many programs have a "first come, first served" process with their aways, as the previous poster stated. FWIW, I was rejected for an away rotation at a place I was offered an interview at a few months later during this past interview season (in psych).

Last edited:
Only in a sense that the people who got it and did well probably have a leg up on you, but that’s pretty far down the ripple effect I think. Overall, no. Just because you didn’t get accepted for an away doesn’t mean they have an internal system that marks you in any specific negative light.

Reactions: 1 user