1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Will being a reapplicant hurt my chances?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by DomFowler, Sep 13, 2008.

1. DomFowler

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I applied to a few schools last year, and received secondaries from all of them. However, I only completed and submitted one of these secondaries.

I am applying again this year, because I didn't get into that school (lesson learned!!). Now my question is, will schools that I did not complete secondaries for last year, penalize me this year? Have I hurt my chances for these schools in anyway?

I'm glad to say I've already submitted 8 secondaries this year, so hopefully things will turn out better. I would greatly appreciate any responses.

The school that rejected me, did interview me. I asked the dean of admissions very categorically why I didn't get in. They said that the committee felt I lacked in clinical experience.

My cgpa and bcpm is 3.6
    MCAT: 31

Last application cycle clinical experience:

-20 hours physician shadowing
    -200 hours of hospital volunteering

This year I have added following clinical experience:

-70 hours shadowing orthopedic surgeon
    -50 hours shadowing general surgeon
    -50 hours shadowing oncologist
    -400 hours volunteering in surgery department of hospital

my gpa and MCAT are still the same

Do you think this is a substantial improvement? I added approx. 600 hours of clinical experience in one year.

#1 DomFowler, Sep 13, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2008
  2. unsung

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    From my understanding, you will be counted as a reapplicant by those schools, even if you did not complete the secondaries they sent you. Whether or not being a reapplicant hurts you is debatable. In any event, don't worry about it 'cuz all you can do is try your best. Good luck! :luck:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. OP
    OP
    DomFowler

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    yeah i called them, and they told me the same thing...that regardless of whether i filled out a secondary, I am a reapp. But I'm wondering if this will negatively effect my chances.

thx for taking the time respond!!:thumbup:

#3 DomFowler, Sep 13, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2008
  4. bobsagat

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    If you can show that you are a better applicant this time around, it shouldn't hurt you at all.

People look at the stats for a re-applicant and see that they're worse than regular students, and so they assume that it means re-applicants are at a disadvantage. But I think that's mostly because reapps are the people who missed the cut the first time around, so they're obviously more likely to miss it again. I say this as a reapplicant myself. Good luck!

5. OP
    OP
    DomFowler

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    my stats are not amazing..but they're decent

30 MCAT
    3.6 overall gpa and bcpm

i added an extra 600 hours of clinical experience in the last year

#5 DomFowler, Sep 13, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2008
  6. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    You are a reapp, and at many schools reapplicants are treated differently. Generally you need to show substantial recent improvement to get looked at -- you cannot fire out basically the same app and expect to get strong consideration. So most see it as a disadvantage. Not one folks haven't overcome, but a disadvantage nonetheless.

7. ginger60

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    The first time I applied I submitted in August, turned in very few secondaries and turned them in late, and was rejected. The second time I didn't really do much to boost my application but made sure to do everything right. I applied to many of the same schools and don't recall being asked about reapplying at any interviews. I am currently attending one of the schools that I applied to but did not turn in the secondary application for the first time, and am receiving a scholarship. Another of my classmates reapplied after applying very narrowly the first time and was also successful.
    To the OP: If it was your application (GPA, MCAT, ECs, interview skills, etc.) that caused you to be rejected during your first time applying, then reapplying won't help you much. But if you made a mistake (like not turning in secondary applications or applying too narrowly) and you correct it the second time around (which it sounds like you are doing), then you should be more successful. Best of luck!

8. Dulcina

Dulcina =)
    5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    are you planning to stop at 8? I would try to apply to at least 15 schools, to be on the safe side.

9. fizzle

fizzle New Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I was going to tell the OP that so far being a reapplicant hasn't seemed to hurt me, but then I realized that the real issue is that the OP only submitted one complete application. Taking that into consideration, I guess we can't determine anything about whether his application needs substantial improvement or not, considering that we only have a school sample size of a grand total of one :p

10. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Doesn't really matter though. Schools are going to see from AMCAS that this is a reapplicant and won't really know if the person got rejected from one school or 60. (For what it's worth, the dude submitted AMCAS to "a few schools" not just one. That counts as "applying" and he likely got rejections from all of those). At some schools reapplicants get handled in different piles. Adcoms are going to assume there was a reason this person didn't get in the first time, and so will look at the app to see what is new in the last year to see what substantial improvements have been made, if any. Which is why resending the exact same stuff the very next year often doesn't work. And why taking a year off to really improve and fix things frequently does. And why you need to be strategic about the application every time, and if you are going to enter the application process, you have to go "all in", not just test the waters.

Lots of reapplicants have success. But many who do actually contact a school or two to find out where they should focus their improvement, and then spend a year or so actually working hard to remedy any shortcomings in their application (be it MCAT, grades, ECs, interviewing skills, or all of the above), and then apply early to a lot of places. The applying to a couple of places one year, and shooting out substantially the same app to a larger group of places the very next June frequently doesn't work and is a fool's gambit. Sure, you now and then on SDN will hear about the 4.0/40 type who overestimated his/her competitiveness and only applied to the top 5 schools, got rejected and then turned around and applied to 35 schools the next year and got in someplace (outside of the top 10). But most of the time it doesn't work out as effortlessly.

FWIW, there is a reapplicant board a bit lower down the forum page on SDN where folks on the reapplication path can share war stories.

#10 Law2Doc, Sep 14, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2008
  11. xanthomondo

xanthomondo nom nom nom
    Removed Physician 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm was accepted to a school who I send a primary app to but not a secondary the first time around. The interviewer did see the reapplicant box checked (the one that I voluntarily did so on their secondary) and asked what happened (thinking that I was rejected). Be prepared to answer why you didn't fill out the secondary, and have something better than "I didn't really want to go here."

For me, money ran tight and they send their secondary out last, so theirs wasn't filled out. It wasn't a big deal.

12. OP
    OP
    DomFowler

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    The school that rejected me, did interview me. I asked the dean of admissions very categorically why I didn't get in. They said that the committee felt I lacked in clinical experience.

My cgpa and bcpm is 3.6
    MCAT: 31

Last application cycle clinical experience:

-20 hours physician shadowing
    -200 hours of hospital volunteering

This year I have added following clinical experience:

-70 hours shadowing orthopedic surgeon
    -50 hours shadowing general surgeon
    -50 hours shadowing oncologist
    -400 hours volunteering in surgery department of hospital

my gpa and MCAT are still the same

Do you think this is a substantial improvement? I added approx. 600 hours of clinical experience in one year.

-DOM

13. xanthomondo

xanthomondo nom nom nom
    Removed Physician 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yeah you look good. Make sure you update your personal statement and secondary essays to reflect your new experiences.

14. fizzle

fizzle New Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I know that the OP is technically a reapplicant to all those schools, but considering that most schools (if not all) won't even review your application the first time if it's not even complete, what basis would they have to see whether there has been significant improvement from the previous year, if the only information they have to go by is that he/she was a reapplicant? Maybe those 8 schools that received his AMCAS last year still have the primary by which to compare the OP by, but they would still be missing huge chunks of the application (i.e. letters of recommendation and secondaries).

15. OP
    OP
    DomFowler

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Thank you all for taking the time to reply. I really appreciate the insight. I'm gonna hope for the best, and keeping working toward my goal.