1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Will Being Accepted To Honor Societies Help?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Confused 20, Mar 10, 2007.

1. Confused 20

Confused 20 Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

I recently was accepted to Phi Kappa Phi, which is an honor society which only accepts students who are in the top 10% of their class. I have also been accepted to a few other honor societies over the years. Will being a part of these honor societies help my application to medical school? I recall reading that being in honor societies will not aid in getting admittance to medical school. Is this true? Any input will be appreciated. Thank you.

2. Pansit

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Phi kappa phi..yeah i got that...golden key international honor society...yeah I got that too...do they help...probably not. Medical schools can discern how good of a student you are just by looking at your transcripts and grades, which is exactly what those societies also look at. There are thousands of people who could be part of these "societies" but just arent willing to part with their annual fees and such, so because you have a 3.8 gpa and some other guy has a 3.8 w/o the honor society, it doesnt give you an advantage. But it wont hurt to join them...

3. Catalystik

Catalystik Platinum
    Physician Faculty Verified Expert Verified Account 10+ Year Member

This question was just asked two days ago. See this thread for discussion: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=378445

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. HumbleMD

HumbleMD hmmmm...
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Phi Beta Kappa is the oldest, most exclusive, and most prestigious honors society, so its really the only one worth anything. Interestingly, though, that very few Juniors are selected and usually seniors in the graduating semester are selected (usally after they've applied to med school). Golden Key is definitely a money-maker scheme (me god, just how many emails do they send out?).

5. Tired Pigeon

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    The med school will look at the grades on your transcript. Honor societies are a way of conveying the information that you have good grades on your transcript -- since the adcoms are already looking at your actual grades, I don't see the point.

6. Critical Mass

Medical Student
    As a Golden Key certificate-holder, I must disagree. Every time I go out to the bar, I tell women that I was selected for Golden Key and even paid my dues. It's an aphrodisiac and works even better than mentioning my status as a state champion in extemporaneous speech during high school.

7. Auron

Auron Cruisin' the Cosmos
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Cool - I was state champion in both extemporaneous and impromptu speaking. We don't have to worry about interviewing mishaps;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. sejin8642

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Well, it won't definitely hurt you.

9. pyrois

2+ Year Member

This kind of reminds me of something I heard somewhere.

"Honey, do these pants make my ass look fat?"

"No, dear. Your fat ass makes your ass look fat."

So the question is, does the honor society that you got into for your high GPA make you look like you have a high GPA? No, the GPA that got you into your honor society makes you look like you have a high GPA.

10. weathertalk

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Though PBK is based on what percentile your GPA falls in, I wouldn't say that it's worthless. At schools with extreme grade inflation where over half the students graduate with honors (not naming any names here), even someone with a 3.8 may not earn PBK. Similarly, at a very challenging school, a person with a 3.6 may end up with PBK. Being in the top 10% at your college is nothing to sneeze at.

11. LizzyM

LizzyM the evil queen of numbers
    Faculty Verified Expert 10+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    Q: Will being accepted to honor societies help?

A: No. And it can hurt if you use up valuable spaces on your AMCAS that could be used to describe more important information that sets you apart from the pack. Sure, not everyone gets admitted to an honor society but adcoms can't distinguish those who list it from those who are too modest (or involved in more substantial activities) to have room to list it.

Also, your committee LOR may state your class rank; IIRC Cornell and Emory do, just to name two.

12. UCLAstudent

UCLAstudent I'm a luck dragon!
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    PBK is the only one that could potentially help (at least at my school).

13. theunremarkable

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'm a junior and was accepted to phi beta kappa. According to the committee this is a big deal because very few juniors get in. I was pretty happy about that. . until I learned about the $70 iniation fee!

What do you guys think of Mortar Board?

14. HumbleMD

HumbleMD hmmmm...
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    At the University of Michigan, for example, less than 4% of seniors are elected into PBK. I am definitely not in the top 4% of my class (You need above a 3.94 or something), so it leads me to believe that it's not only GPA based.

15. xylem29

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    not if it's golden key - what waste of money...

16. Critical Mass

Medical Student
    Funny thing--I interivewed at a place in which the interviewer said, "I see that you were a state champion in extemp. Give me an impromptu speech on the meaning of the word 'humility.'" I complied, but I wished that I hadn't included that detail on my essay.

17. Auron

Auron Cruisin' the Cosmos
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I would definitly write it - and I will. I loved every minute of it.

18. gary5

gary5 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey, send me $100 and you can be in my unofficial SDN honors society, which is more exclusive because we only accept 5% of the world population.

19. pyrois

2+ Year Member

"However, in the last two decades, rates of acceptance of Phi Beta Kappa membership invitations by students or "members in course" have significantly dropped. During the last triennial convention held in October 2006, the national secretary (chief executive officer) of Phi Beta Kappa admitted in his annual State of the Society address that:

"The data show a generally heartening, but not entirely untroubled picture. At about a third of our chapters, essentially no one turns down the invitation. At almost another third, the acceptance rate is above 80%. But at the remaining chapters, almost 100, the rates are lower. At a small number of chapters, the percentage of invited students who are subsequently initiated is as low as 40% and 30%. Some who have seen these figures question the viability of those campuses as sheltering institutions."[1]

The national secretary then admitted that:

"It is distressing that anyone should decline this honor. Our aim is to have strong acceptance rates at all our chapters."[2]

Making Phi Beta Kappa recognizable in many campuses is a major challenge that the Society faces in this new millenium."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phi_Beta_Kappa#Elected_as_undergraduates

I personally think honor societies should give out cash awards to reward students for their achievements as opposed to charging a fee to add their name to the list. After all, most other selective honors are either free or provide monetary awards as a part of recognition.

To be honest, being a Phi Beta Kappa invitee is just as prestigious as actually having paid the $70 to be a PBK member. So why pay? Just put "PBK Invitee" on your AMCAS and it's just as good.