Medical Will boards compensate for low ranking in med school?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBoneDoctah

Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I attend a DO school (MSU, a very well established school) and we have a rank system 1-5, i am currently in the lowest rank. I was going through some rough waters during my first year and school was not the priority that it should have been. I am by no means incompetent or stupid, i just did not put in the work it deserved; you'd be shocked to hear I'm a medical student if i told you how incredibly little i studied, most of the times id cram an entire unit of 2 weeks in 3-4 days before the exam without doing a single lecture all of the two weeks before, complete irresponsibility and lack of discipline but i had my reasons and learned my lessons, so i know I am capable of improving if i work for it.

I don't know by how much i can raise my ranking with only 2 semesters left, may be to 2 or 3, but my question is would a good board exam compensate? i was told by faculty that our ranking system isn't really used heavily by PDs and does not have a significant weight.

my plan going forward is to give second year (i just started it) all i got and to put exceptional effort for boards, something i completely did not do for the mcat either. I am not very much involved in EC or research at the moment. so

how much can i accomplish in the next 3 years, what kind of things other than boards should be my focus? is it common for research to be done during clerkships? would a good STEP exam make up for low ranking? my residency goal is EM.
For residency, especially for EM, your audition matters a ton. Your boards are second in the importance list. Class rank really doesn’t matter, plus you are only in your second year. Focus on doing well in your courses because that will carry over to your boards.

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.