Will bring young affect my medical school admission chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Running4Medicine

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a senior in high school and I will be matriculating into NC State this fall as a junior with 62 credit hours. This will help me graduate college 2 years early, but I will only be 20 years old when I graduate. My current community college GPA is a 4.0 as well as my high school GPA (although I've heard high school doesn't matter). I'm guessing my NC State GPA will be between a 3.7 and a 4.0. I have many extracurriculars as well as volunteering at my local hospital and all local blood drives. I also plan to shadow at a hospital in the triangle once I attend NC State. Although my academic record is strong, will my age affect my chances of being accepted into a prestigious medical school? Ex JHU, UNC, Duke, UPENN, possibly ECU as a backup. My MCAT is obviously impossible to predict, although I am typically a pretty good test taker. I also plan on applying for the HPSP scholarship.
Maybe a little ahead of myself, lol.

Members don't see this ad.

Your age will not be held against you, but your lack of experience might be. The average matriculant is 25; will your activities as a 20 y/o be enough to fill a 5 years void in a competition for highly prized spots? It might very well be the case. Or it might not.

If you absolutely want to graduate in two years, you might want to set your sight lower down the totem pole.

Reactions: 2 users
Age is just a number. It's what you do that matters

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think your age will matter much. Your experience and scores will determine your competitiveness. You could invest some time in your experiences both clinical and nonclinical, while keeping your GPA up. Of course, I wouldn't recommend rushing to take the MCAT, so you should take it whenever you feel ready. After 2 years, you may decide if you're competitive or not for a prestigious medical school. Unless you are set on being a well-known researcher, you can afford to apply to other schools. Your school of choice should be one where you feel comfortable and happy.
Please, take my opinion with a grain of salt, I'm just another pre-med. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Age is going to be the least important number on your profile that will matter when applying to medical schools.

Age won't hold you back, but your current ECs seem as if they are no where near top tier med school quality. You would probably struggle even with mid-tiers. Keep in mind, if you don't take a gap year, you would be applying after your freshman year...