Will COVID make Pulm/CC more competitive?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DIMC

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The specialty has become more competitive in the past few years. Given the current crisis, will we see the a spike in number of people applying in to the specialty or decrease?

Members don't see this ad.

It is impacting everything, not just pulm. Dont see why this would change anything unless someone has a loved one who dies and decides to become an ARDS researcher via the pulm pathway or something but seems like an outlier case.

To be honest, when I went into PCCM I didn't consider that I would be putting my health at risk by coming in to work in addition to being told to work significant extra hours without extra compensation. Also the fact that in some places intensivists are expected to come out of retirement to help out (while being the most vulnerable population themselves) in a pandemic is not appealing for the future. So from that standpoint not really what people bargained for and may cause people to re-think. On the other hand it does make intensivists feel more crucial, higher prestige, etc.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
To be honest, when I went into PCCM I didn't consider that I would be putting my health at risk by coming in to work in addition to being told to work significant extra hours without extra compensation. Also the fact that in some places intensivists are expected to come out of retirement to help out (while being the most vulnerable population themselves) in a pandemic is not appealing for the future. So from that standpoint not really what people bargained for and may cause people to re-think. On the other hand it does make intensivists feel more crucial, higher prestige, etc.
I understand that given the current situation nerves are running hot. That being said, I cannot imagine you would go through 4 years of medical school 3 years of residency and 2-3 years of fellowship training and this is the very first time that you are considering the possibility of catching an infectious disease from a patient.
This is distinctly different from hospitals not having PPE and pushing you to treat patients. I don't know what I would do in that situation but I refusing and flat out quitting comes to mind. As a general rule, if they are pushing you to do anything that is not safe, whether it is working incredibly long hours or seeing a bizillion patients or seeing patients without equipment I'd say that's unacceptable. Definitely escalating the situation to a supervisor, medical director, CEO of the hospital or just calling a news organization to blow the whisle comes to mind. Losing your job is not gonna be the end of the world, SPECIALLY under the current situations.
Policemen risk their life, firefighters risk their life, soldiers risk their life and believe it or not, doctors sometimes do as well, certainly, we risk our health frequently and I think we all knew about this since medical school.

As for the OP, will it become more competitive? Probably nobody can say, at least not for a while. It is hard to imagine the downstream implications. Will this virus becomes some sort of cyclical thing like the flu? Then maybe yes. Will it pass within the next 12months and people forget completely after it did? Maybe no.
It is possible that the government start putting rules/legislation to artificially increase the number of CC personnel on hospitals as a precaution for further pandemics. If that is the case it would depend on the details and how it is implemented.

I'm not sure many current pulmonologists thought they would be at reasonably high risk of contracting a serious respiratory illness (beyond what you'd be at risk for standing in a crowded mall/airport/shop) just by going to work. For the occasional case of chicken pox or having Tb as a significant part of your practice there's always been reasonable ways to protect yourself at work. I'm not sure that MRSA or VRE or C diff bother most critical care physicians as they're gowing and gloving for daily rounds. Covid-19 is different though, especially since it appears to be a lot more contagious than many of the other respiratory disease we encounter in our usual practices.

@xoggyux, yes there are plenty of us who did not sign up for the very likely possibility of catching a novel virus without treatment day in and day out just going to our regular jobs.
All these years, never did I fear for my health in going to work till now.
Your post sounds very judgmental like we should have expected this by signing up for this job.

Reactions: 5 users
@xoggyux, yes there are plenty of us who did not sign up for the very likely possibility of catching a novel virus without treatment day in and day out just going to our regular jobs.
All these years, never did I fear for my health in going to work till now.
Your post sounds very judgmental like we should have expected this by signing up for this job.
If it sounded judgemental it is because it was, at least a bit.
As I said, I cannot wrap my head about someone 10y+ into the medical field that does not understand that there is a risk of getting infected. Certainly not an ID that all they see is infections or ER/Critical care that do airway management. Meningitis? Disseminated varicella zoster? TB?
Again, this is strictly different from the pressure to do a job without proper protective equipment, that is something else and it is unacceptable.
I understand the fear and it is quite normal, I am certainly afraid as well but I cannot say that I did not know that this could happen because I'd be lying.
If you did not sign up for this, perhaps it would be proper for you to try to do some sort of outpatient job or something other than medicine?

If it sounded judgemental it is because it was, at least a bit.
As I said, I cannot wrap my head about someone 10y+ into the medical field that does not understand that there is a risk of getting infected. Certainly not an ID that all they see is infections or ER/Critical care that do airway management. Meningitis? Disseminated varicella zoster? TB?
Again, this is strictly different from the pressure to do a job without proper protective equipment, that is something else and it is unacceptable.
I understand the fear and it is quite normal, I am certainly afraid as well but I cannot say that I did not know that this could happen because I'd be lying.
If you did not sign up for this, perhaps it would be proper for you to try to do some sort of outpatient job or something other than medicine?
You and the high horse you rode in on can take your judgements elsewhere.

Those other illnesses you have mentioned actually have treatments and some vaccines. And are not that damn common. How many bacterial meningitis cases have you seen? Or TB cases. Did they overrun your hospital? Did you have enough negative pressure rooms to take care of them? Did any of the staff you know catch those illnesses? How many died?
The risk of catching something that could kill me within a couple of weeks that has no treatment was not something many, if not most of us signed up for.
So again take your judgements elsewhere. If you can’t wrap your head around that, then that sounds like you got problems.

You and the high horse you rode in on can take your judgements elsewhere.

Those other illnesses you have mentioned actually have treatments and some vaccines. And are not that damn common. How many bacterial meningitis cases have you seen? Or TB cases. Did they overrun your hospital? Did you have enough negative pressure rooms to take care of them? Did any of the staff you know catch those illnesses? How many died?
The risk of catching something that could kill me within a couple of weeks that has no treatment was not something many, if not most of us signed up for.
So again take your judgements elsewhere. If you can’t wrap your head around that, then that sounds like you got problems.
Look, at this time it is highly unlikely that this pathogen will be controlled. Community spread is ubiquitous. I would be more worried going to the supermarket on a surgical mask than in the hospital with an N95 and face shield or incubating someone with a PAPR.
I have come to terms with the fact that there is a high likelihood that we will all get exposed at sometime with this illness, wether in the hospital or in the community. Maybe I already was and did not know, maybe I will get it tomorrow or 6 months from now.
Living in the US is already a risk factor for this disease, unfortunately.
It is certainly emotionally taxing and if you have seen co-workers being exposed/infected/ill/critically-ill/death it is certainly sad, devastating and life-changing.
Find someone to help you. I don't measure my words, I try to be as honest as possible and I already told you what I thought. Take it for what it is worth that there is no shame in getting help, if you need it, ask for it and you shall receive it.
The moment you don't feel comfortable doing what you are doing, please stop. You will only harm yourself and your patients.

I'd imagine it will make it less competitive now that people know it might be their life on the line

Reactions: 1 user
I'd imagine it will make it less competitive now that people know it might be their life on the line
That won't be a factor in the long term. That could be a factor for next match, but not for the next 5-6 years. By then probably all of us will have been exposed and this will no longer be the cause... Unless there is no immunity (unlikely) in which case we are all screwed.
The way I see it, it might become more desirable if as a direct result of this pandemic as young doctors become inspired to pursue the this career or perhaps if governments start mandating artificial increase for ICU beds in hospitals to have as backup.

I suspect there might be higher need of Pulmonologists in the future. We don't know much about long-term effects, but I have a suspicion that this nasty bug will leave long-lasting consequences, maybe in the form of fibrosis, pulmonary hypertension or something else.

Psych for sure will likely have more demand.

That won't be a factor in the long term. That could be a factor for next match, but not for the next 5-6 years. By then probably all of us will have been exposed and this will no longer be the cause... Unless there is no immunity (unlikely) in which case we are all screwed.
The way I see it, it might become more desirable if as a direct result of this pandemic as young doctors become inspired to pursue the this career or perhaps if governments start mandating artificial increase for ICU beds in hospitals to have as backup.

I suspect there might be higher need of Pulmonologists in the future. We don't know much about long-term effects, but I have a suspicion that this nasty bug will leave long-lasting consequences, maybe in the form of fibrosis, pulmonary hypertension or something else.

Psych for sure will likely have more demand.

What else does your crystal ball show?

Reactions: 2 users
What else does your crystal ball show?
Actually if you see my first post on the topic I fully admit neither myself, nor anyone else knows what the future will bring:

"As for the OP, will it become more competitive? Probably nobody can say, at least not for a while. It is hard to imagine the downstream implications. Will this virus becomes some sort of cyclical thing like the flu? Then maybe yes. Will it pass within the next 12months and people forget completely after it did? Maybe no."

That being said as I said above, I don't think this will scare off people from going into CC, at least not for longer than 1 or 2 years in the immediate matches because this is not something that affects only CC, this is something that is running in the general population and in the near future (a couple of years?) we will either all been exposed, or there would be therapeutics/vaccine.

Members don't see this ad :)
If taking care of really sick people, the risk of infection, the long hours, and some of the other sacrifices bother you, get lost. I don't want you in my specialty and my profession.

Reactions: 8 users
And just so we are clear despite all of the ****ing signs, and ads, and free coffee, and get to the front of the line bull**** going on right now, I am NOT a hero. **** that. I'm a pulmonary and critical care doctor. This is what I do. I signed up for this ****.

Reactions: 9 users
Regarding the question; I'd say it's not easy to say what impact for pulmonary/critical care. I am curious, however, about the new infectious disease/critical care track being developed at programs.

If taking care of really sick people, the risk of infection, the long hours, and some of the other sacrifices bother you, get lost. I don't want you in my specialty and my profession.
How bad was your hospital hit with COVID? Just curious.
And just so we are clear despite all of the ****ing signs, and ads, and free coffee, and get to the front of the line bull**** going on right now, I am NOT a hero. **** that. I'm a pulmonary and critical care doctor. This is what I do. I signed up for this ****.

:clap:

Regarding the question; I'd say it's not easy to say what impact for pulmonary/critical care. I am curious, however, about the new infectious disease/critical care track being developed at programs.

We were not hit ridiculously hard. We never ran out of vents that kind of thing. We probably saw something like 40 or 50 cases of people sick enough to need high flow or cpap in April. We haven’t had a sick on the vent case in a long time now.

We were not hit ridiculously hard. We never ran out of vents that kind of thing. We probably saw something like 40 or 50 cases of people sick enough to need high flow or cpap in April. We haven’t had a sick on the vent case in a long time now.

We are still getting a lot of cases. Have 6 covids on the vent right now. I’m in the south in a small city. Hospital has a large catchment area. 200+ cases total so far, many of those required vent support. Lots of fat folk.

Ugh. We have about 25 either on the vent of high flow right now.

We are still getting a lot of cases. Have 6 covids on the vent right now. I’m in the south in a small city. Hospital has a large catchment area. 200+ cases total so far, many of those required vent support. Lots of fat folk.
Ugh. We have about 25 either on the vent of high flow right now.

Filled out SO many of these:

DOH-5003-MOLST-600x600.jpg

So I’m just a medical assistant but I work in the ICU at a medium sized community hospital and we’ve had a huge uptick in cases these past few weeks. Our ICU is at capacity and we have about 15 patients on vent. We have several patients on high flow on non ICU floors and there isn’t an ICU bed available for them if they continue to deteriorate.

So I’m just a medical assistant but I work in the ICU at a medium sized community hospital and we’ve had a huge uptick in cases these past few weeks. Our ICU is at capacity and we have about 15 patients on vent. We have several patients on high flow on non ICU floors and there isn’t an ICU bed available for them if they continue to deteriorate.
So what is the plan? Many will deteriorate and need beds. And Covid ICU stays are probably about a month in the ICU if they don’t die first.

So what is the plan? Many will deteriorate and need beds. And Covid ICU stays are probably about a month in the ICU if they don’t die first.
I’m not sure, to be honest! I think administration has been talking about setting up a makeshift overflow ICU on another floor... but from my understanding those rooms aren’t properly set up to to serve as ICU rooms. Not exactly sure what that means but the docs have been grumbling a lot about it. I think they’ve also been limiting admissions at our hospital and trying to transfer patients elsewhere

It is not “your” profession. Did you invent it? You make the rules for it? You in charge of making us people “get lost”?
Who the hell are you? Are the boss of all of CCM?

Maybe you picked the wrong line of work?
Not at all. This is not the 1800s before they had treatments for many deadly contagious and deadly illness.
Going to to work and possibly dying never crossed my mind or plenty of other people’s minds in the profession.
So if you want to act all righteous and a wanna be warrior going into battle, knock yourself out.
But don’t try to embarrass and essentially call the rest of us who may have fear of this illness cowards. This is not the military. If it was, then you would have a right to say that. Been there done that.
Cut the self righteousness.

And TBH, two months ago I was a lot more afraid of catching this at work than I am now since we are well protected at work. But still..

Not at all. This is not the 1800s before they had treatments for many deadly contagious and deadly illness.
Going to to work and possibly dying never crossed my mind or plenty of other people’s minds in the profession.
So if you want to act all righteous and a wanna be warrior going into battle, knock yourself out.
But don’t try to embarrass and essentially call the rest of us who may have fear of this illness cowards. This is not the military. If it was, then you would have a right to say that. Been there done that.
Cut the self righteousness.

And TBH, two months ago I was a lot more afraid of catching this at work than I am now since we are well protected at work. But still..

I am ready said I’m no hero. No self righteousness here. I’m not “righteous” nor “special”. This is the job. Do it or GTFO of my profession. I also never said you can’t have any fear, did I? Be as afraid as you want and do your work.

Don’t project bull**** onto me.

I am ready said I’m no hero. No self righteousness here. I’m not “righteous” nor “special”. This is the job. Do it or GTFO of my profession. I also never said you can’t have any fear, did I? Be as afraid as you want and do your work.

Don’t project bull**** onto me.
Again, it ain’t your damn profession. I ain’t your employee. You want to be in charge but you are not. You have no damn say in it.
Go ahead and try removing us “hero”! I don’t care what “you” want. This is not about you or your narcissism.

Again, it ain’t your damn profession. I ain’t your employee. You want to be in charge but you are not. You have no damn say in it.
Go ahead and try removing us “hero”!

It is my profession. It is also your profession. I never said I was the boss of the whole profession. I will have an opinion. And if you don’t do the work we are all expected to do then GTFO of my profession. My opinion.

Again never said I was a “hero”. Don’t know why you feel the need to try and project any of that onto me. That is perhaps your issue but it’s not mine. I’m beginning to suspect there may have been personal issues related to your difficulty finding a critical care job now based on this interaction. Remember you decided to pick a fight with me by bumping a fairly old thread at this point and one you’d already been through based on your likes. I was minding my own business here. So what gives? Going to tell me I’m a bad doctor next? Sorry not sorry my opinion hurt your feels.

It is my profession. It is also your profession. I never said I was the boss of the whole profession. I will have an opinion. And if you don’t do the work we are all expected to do then GTFO of my profession. My opinion.

Again never said I was a “hero”. Don’t know why you feel the need to try and project any of that onto me. That is perhaps your issue but it’s not mine. I’m beginning to suspect there may have been personal issues related to your difficulty finding a critical care job now based on this interaction. Remember you decided to pick a fight with me by bumping a fairly old thread at this point and one you’d already been through based on your likes. I was minding my own business here. So what gives? Going to tell me I’m a bad doctor next? Sorry not sorry my opinion hurt your feels.
Why are you assuming I am doing the work I am supposed to do? I just said I was afraid. And so are others.
And you jumped in and started trying to shame people and tell them to get the hell out.
Dude, I packed my bags and went to Covid heaven NY even in my fear to help. And I live in Texas so I know I am about to be in the thick.
But for you to make such a judgmental and callous statement implying that we don’t have a right and shouldn’t be scared, and tell us to get out then I say get off your damn high horse. Who left you in charge!

Why are you assuming I am doing the work I am supposed to do? I just said I was afraid. And so are others.
And you jumped in and started trying to shame people and tell them to get the hell out.
Dude, I packed my bags and went to Covid heaven NY even in my fear to help. And I live in Texas so I know I am about to be in the thick.
But for you to make such a judgmental and callous statement implying that we don’t have a right and shouldn’t be scared, and tell us to get out then I say get off your damn high horse. Who left you in charge!

Then be afraid. But if it all bothers you so much you can’t do the work then GTFO. You can feel whatever you want.

Maybe you need to try not letting other people’s opinions bother you so much.

Then be afraid. But if it all bothers you so much you can’t do the work then GTFO. You can feel whatever you want.

Maybe you need to try not letting other people’s opinions bother you so much.
And why are you responding if you aren’t bothered?
Again you don’t have the authority to tell anyone to GTFO! Except your employees if you have some.
Until then, keep trying to tell people what to do and wasting time. Because you think you have imaginary power to do so.

And why are you responding if you aren’t bothered?
Again you don’t have the authority to tell anyone to GTFO! Except your employees if you have some.
Until then, keep trying to tell people what to do and wasting time. Because you think you have imaginary power to do so.

You picked this fight with me. Don’t try and shame me for responding. You drew first blood. If you CANT do this work then you should GTFO. I’m not going to stop having an opinion on that because you want to make it into something it is not. It’s isn’t my job to make sure your reality is handled with kids gloves. People are going to say things you disagree with learn to grow up and deal with it. I’m going to keep saying what I think and you can just deal with it. Or don’t. It’s your rent free space.

You picked this fight with me. Don’t try and shame me for responding. You drew first blood. If you CANT do this work then you should GTFO. I’m not going to stop having an opinion on that because you want to make it into something it is not. It’s isn’t my job to make sure your reality is handled with kids gloves. People are going to say things you disagree with learn to grow up and deal with it. I’m going to keep saying what I think and you can just deal with it. Or don’t. It’s your rent free space.
Blah blah blah.
And who were you responding to with your initial statement? Who were you attempting to shame? If not me and anyone else above who stated that we were scared?
Clearly you were trying to insult and be a jerk to one of us.
I am not going to stop having an opinion either. And you again can scream all you want about people leaving the profession, but again, you have no power to make that happen.
Say it again. Order me to GTFO of your profession.
Because if you do, I promise this time, I will not pick up any ICU assignments since @jdh71 said so.

Blah blah blah.
And who were you responding to with your initial statement? Who were you attempting to shame? If not me and anyone else above who stated that we were scared?
Clearly you were trying to insult and be a jerk to one of us.
I am not going to stop having an opinion either. And you again can scream all you want about people leaving the profession, but again, you have no power to make that happen.
Say it again. Order me to GTFO of your profession.
Because if you do, I promise this time, I will not pick up any ICU assignments since @jdh71 said so.

Have a good day choco.

So will PCCM/CCM be more competitive this year than before? We will know in December I guess

Not to hijack the thread but which specialties do you think will become more competitive because of COVID-19?

If hospitals are not hiring for next year I suspect all fellowships (except geriatrics) will be competitive because at least you've a job (esp for FMGs on visa)

If hospitals are not hiring for next year I suspect all fellowships (except geriatrics) will be competitive because at least you've a job (esp for FMGs on visa)

But they are.... That is a bonkers sentiment, just because covid happened doesnt mean hospitals decided they cant afford employees anymore. The only people they wont be hiring is managers because the hospital can function without them but no doctors nurses cleaning staff etc and the hospital stops running.

Not to hijack the thread but which specialties do you think will become more competitive because of COVID-19?

hepatology with all the drinking going on at home. My entire month of GI was basically hepatology and alcoholic hepatitis, which was absolutely unreal (compared to when I was an intern). the GI staff said "this team should all just go into hepatology after this month, considering that's all we're seeing"

But they are.... That is a bonkers sentiment, just because covid happened doesnt mean hospitals decided they cant afford employees anymore. The only people they wont be hiring is managers because the hospital can function without them but no doctors nurses cleaning staff etc and the hospital stops running.

But will they really? I don't trust any part of this system.
Cutting physician pay without cutting administrative pay. We're always getting the short end of the stick. Look at Fauci... further perpetuating physician distrust.

That just got political. Anyway, what a cat fight above! #popcorn

A “like” brought me back here but it’s interesting to see how some people can assume they know any damn thing about each other based on online personas. Apparently I can’t find a job based on an online interaction.
SMH. Got too many people calling me for jobs and offering me full time gigs but apparently I have issues and can’t land a job according to @jdh71. Even you pulmonologists.
Yes, bringing it back up. Cuz I am bored after working out on my week off.

A “like” brought me back here but it’s interesting to see how some people can assume they know any damn thing about each other based on online personas. Apparently I can’t find a job based on an online interaction.
SMH. Got too many people calling me for jobs and offering me full time gigs but apparently I have issues and can’t land a job according to @jdh71. Even you pulmonologists.
Yes, bringing it back up. Cuz I am bored after working out on my week off.

Are you picking this SAME fight with me AGAIN?

Are you picking this SAME fight with me AGAIN?
Nope. This one is a response to you acting like you know anything about me and saying “I am beginning to see that there may have been a personal issue related to your difficulty finding a critical care job..” which I’m just now noticing all these months later. So, Please tell me all about why I’m having such difficulty in my professional life.
Or you can choose to take the “high road” and ignore me. Whatever dude, like I said I was bored on my week off work. And you seem to apparently know me based on my online persona.

Nope. This one is a response to you acting like you know anything about me and saying “I am beginning to see that there may have been a personal issue related to your difficulty finding a critical care job..” which I’m just now noticing all these months later. So, Please tell me all about why I’m having such difficulty in my professional life.
Or you can choose to take the “high road” and ignore me. Whatever dude, like I said I was bored on my week off work. And you seem to apparently know me based on my online persona.

Actually yeah. You are picking the same fight.

Well based on the fact that you continue to bring up old stuff, maybe you do have some personality quirk that made it hard or you to find a job. I know I don't want to work with someone who continues to bring up old stuff. You already put me on blast once, months ago - I took the "high road" at the end of THAT conversation and told you have a good day. I'm not sure what you're getting out of it. But have fun letting it all live rent free in your brain.

Right now the job is in demand. Good for you. Offers just banging down your door? Good for you. Go take a job then and quit bring up old nonsense on your day off. I would, however, block you admission to my group based solely on this. Good luck.

Actually yeah. You are picking the same fight.

Well based on the fact that you continue to bring up old stuff, maybe you do have some personality quirk that made it hard or you to find a job. I know I don't want to work with someone who continues to bring up old stuff. You already put me on blast once, months ago - I took the "high road" at the end of THAT conversation and told you have a good day. I'm not sure what you're getting out of it. But have fun letting it all live rent free in your brain.

Right now the job is in demand. Good for you. Offers just banging down your door? Good for you. Go take a job then and quit bring up old nonsense on your day off. I would, however, block you admission to my group based solely on this. Good luck.
I don’t want to be in any group your snooty behind is in anyway. Not interested in joining it. I don’t want a full time job in general. So yeah, no worries there.
Besides you only want “pulmonologists” remember?. Got a few job offers in multidisciplinary groups and I already said I turned them down because of the lack of real vacation outside of the 26 weeks off. I was weeded out by PulmCCM groups because I am not a pulmonologist not because of the winning personality you love so much. So whatever, don’t think you know anything about this lovely personality of mine based on what I type online to rile y’all up. Duh!!!
Quite frankly the pulmonary part seems painful. Smokers and fatties with chronic lung problems. And then the ILDs with such great treatments. Seems like so much fun... not.

I don’t want to be in any group your snooty behind is in anyway. Not interested in joining it. I don’t want a full time job in general. So yeah, no worries there.
Besides you only want “pulmonologists” remember?. Got a few job offers in multidisciplinary groups and I already said I turned them down because of the lack of real vacation outside of the 26 weeks off. I was weeded out by PulmCCM groups because I am not a pulmonologist not because of the winning personality you love so much. So whatever, don’t think you know anything about this lovely personality of mine based on what I type online to rile y’all up. Duh!!!
Quite frankly the pulmonary part seems painful. Smokers and fatties with chronic lung problems. And then the ILDs with such great treatments. Seems like so much fun... not.

Good for you.

And yeah pulmonary is hard to do and not for everyone. I do get to help a lot of people docs like seem to hold in contempt. They’re people too.