will csu school hurt my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr1989

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys

i just got accepted to 3 csu schools and am waiting to hear from a private school along with some uc schools. point is that i most likely will attend the csu school because it is closer to my family, who for personal reasons, i have to be at home.

will attending a csu school hurt my chances of getting into uc dental schools like ucsf, ucla. uop is my other choice, but ucsf is my top choice for sure. what do you think?

^edit-i am transferring from a cc to finish my last 2 years at a university; so dental school will happen soon in the near future! *fingers crossed~ :D

Members don't see this ad.

hey guys

i just got accepted to 3 csu schools and am waiting to hear from a private school along with some uc schools. point is that i most likely will attend the csu school because it is closer to my family, who for personal reasons, i have to be at home.

will attending a csu school hurt my chances of getting into uc dental schools like ucsf, ucla. uop is my other choice, but ucsf is my top choice for sure. what do you think?

^edit-i am transferring from a cc to finish my last 2 years at a university; so dental school will happen soon in the near future! *fingers crossed~ :D

For most cases, it will not matter at all. As long as you take a good amount of upper division science classes, and do well in them (esp. anatomy, biochem, physiology, histology, microbiology). In fact, going to a CSU may help your gpa because the competition is not as severe compared to the UCs.

For most cases, it will not matter at all. As long as you take a good amount of upper division science classes, and do well in them (esp. anatomy, biochem, physiology, histology, microbiology). In fact, going to a CSU may help your gpa because the competition is not as severe compared to the UCs.

CSU...it could be challenging. I think it all depends on the professors you're taking classes with. Keep a decent GPA, get good DAT scores, and get involved with extra curricular and you'll be fine!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks guys!
yeah i visited the campus and its pretty diverse and im already planning to join some clubs and start my own pre-dent club as well :D
much more excited now! :) (not to add less financial burden!)

thanks guys!
yeah i visited the campus and its pretty diverse and im already planning to join some clubs and start my own pre-dent club as well :D
much more excited now! :) (not to add less financial burden!)

You're not by chance going to be attending SDSU are you?

hey guys

I don't think it will hurt your chances at all. I attended California State University Northridge. If you keep a high GPA and score decently well on your DAT, i don't think it will matter where you attend undergrad. I didn't do spectacular on my DAT, and still got an interview at UCSF. Had my DAT been higher, i probably would of had more interviews. I also did this without almost no community service or volunteer work (except shadowing a dentist).

Go CSU, as someone who has gone to both CSU and UC I can tell you you'll get far more for your money. In my experience lecturers are much better at CSU, and lecturers at UC are worthless (to be fair the professors at UC are recruited mainly to do research and are required to teach so often times they don't care about lectures). Plus with the 33% increase in tuition, and it probably wont stop there, you can expect to sell your first born to pay off undergrad. Just my opinion, best of luck with whichever you decide to stick with!

go to CSU. I got to Cal Berkeley and the amount that prestige helps seems to be negligible. You will get a better GPA at CSU and you will most likely know your professors better. The only real downside is that most CSU have an atmosphere that is less academic than UCs but if you don't get distracted and maintain a high motivation and GPA, it won't matter.

i vote for CSU, easier to get good grade

I don't think it will hurt your chances at all. I attended California State University Northridge. If you keep a high GPA and score decently well on your DAT, i don't think it will matter where you attend undergrad. I didn't do spectacular on my DAT, and still got an interview at UCSF. Had my DAT been higher, i probably would of had more interviews. I also did this without almost no community service or volunteer work (except shadowing a dentist).

nice! CSUN is one of the schools i got accepted to :D
and its 40 min away from my house so im seriously considering that. the other school is Cal Lutheran University-good small private school, but VERY expensive. and i know they have a stellar science program, but even with the financial aid i will recieve, i think CSUN is a wiser choice-however my brother goes there right now and he tells me that i prob wont graduate on time, given the classes that are being cancelled with this whole economic crunch and all...so that's my only concern as of now. any advice for that? :(

nice! CSUN is one of the schools i got accepted to :D
and its 40 min away from my house so im seriously considering that. the other school is Cal Lutheran University-good small private school, but VERY expensive. and i know they have a stellar science program, but even with the financial aid i will recieve, i think CSUN is a wiser choice-however my brother goes there right now and he tells me that i prob wont graduate on time, given the classes that are being cancelled with this whole economic crunch and all...so that's my only concern as of now. any advice for that? :(

Im at CSUN, man o man budget cuts are killer :thumbdown: Cut big time on the number of classes offered and also alot of interesting upper div sci courses are not offered anymore.