Will dental schools discriminate against someone with aspergers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leesan23

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering if an aspergers diagnosis (now classified on the autism spectrum) would prevent me from getting through the interview phase of admissions.

I won't lie, it's hard to cover-up when talking to smart people. I think I'd make a good dentist, but I'm worried they won't agree :( .

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I was wondering if an aspergers diagnosis (now classified on the autism spectrum) would prevent me from getting through the interview phase of admissions.

I won't lie, it's hard to cover-up when talking to smart people. I think I'd make a good dentist, but I'm worried they won't agree :( .

A big part of being a dentist is communication. In order for your patients to trust you (a big problem on dentistry) you have to be able to connect with them and communicate on a personal level.

Obviously there's a spectrum so you may be capable of doing that, and if you are I'm sure adcoms won't hold it against you. But simply being talented at working with trying does not make you a good dentist.

I DEFINITELY would not bring it up yourself though. Hopefully you didn't write about it in your PS, but that's my personal opinion.

Dentistry is above all a people business!

An Asperger's DX is not directly an issue. You do need to be able to demonstrate that you work well with people, one on one and in group settings.

What are you doing right now to show your people skills?
What have you done in the last 5 years that show your people skill?
What organizations/teams/clubs/troops have you been a contributing part of recently?
What jobs have you had were you interacted with the public?
What leadership positions have you had with other people?
What interpersonal communication skills can you demonstrate?

Prove that you can work effectively with people of all kinds and the "Asperger Label" will be meaningless.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Dentistry is something everyone here is chasing, but we're not all that grand or important. We might pat ourselves on the back and say we improved someone's health and helped them feel better about ourselves but honestly, there are more important jobs out there. Dont worry about if your condition will prevent you from getting into dental school. Just go one step at a time. Practice your interview so much that your answers come off amazing and natural. Maybe it takes people 20 hours of work to practice interviewing, but you put in 50, oh well. Also apply to 20 schools to up your chances. Play the game of odds to get in. If you have a 4.0 and 25 AA and practiced your interview skills, I bet you'll have your choice of dozens schools regardless of your condition (aka - just work hard on those stats). Maybe work with those who have aspergers in the future as a dentist and help that community. Lord knows we have enough gunners who are leaders of their undergrad dental clubs who are smooth talkers.

Reactions: 7 users
I'd disclose it in your personal statement. That way if all else fails you'll be able to sue the school claiming a discrimination violation under the 1990 Americans with Disabilities Act.

Hey believe in yourself and things will work out! You shouldn't have to cover up who you are and if you don't click with dentistry because of that - then its ok! There are so many components that come together to make a great dentist or doctor - or any professional for that matter. SO if the interview phase doesn't workout don't be discouraged because there is a path for you :)

I'd disclose it in your personal statement. That way if all else fails you'll be able to sue the school claiming a discrimination violation under the 1990 Americans with Disabilities Act.
good luck trying to prove that being denied from dental school was due to "discrimination"

Don't disclose, don't talk about it. They shouldn't ask- it's a health problem, none of their business
At the same time they are trying to compose a team of people who will work well together. Do your best to show that you are able to
Don't rely on Laws and regulations- discrimination and racism are everywhere

Your frame of mind does not reflect your age.

To OP. Do not disclose it. There is no point in disclosing it, in my opinion, it only serves as a reason to reject your application. No committee will see your condition and think, I have to reject 1600 out of 2000 applicants in 1 month, but lets give him a chance.

I remember listening to this episode of Invisibilia a while ago about an MD with autism. It goes to show that anything is possible!

<iframe src="Invisibilia: An Experiment Helps One Woman See The World In A New Way" width="100%" height="290" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" title="NPR embedded audio player"></iframe>

*edit: I tried to embed the full episode but it didn't work for some reason, you can just look it up on their website if you're interested :shrug:

longform-original-25277-1416264616-13.png

Reactions: 1 user
I remember listening to this episode of Invisibilia a while ago about an MD with autism. It goes to show that anything is possible!

<iframe src="Invisibilia: An Experiment Helps One Woman See The World In A New Way" width="100%" height="290" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" title="NPR embedded audio player"></iframe>

*edit: I tried to embed the full episode but it didn't work for some reason, you can just look it up on their website if you're interested :shrug:
It's a fairy tale

Reactions: 1 user
You’re replying to yourself from a different account...

Reactions: 6 users
I am...umm....in a very vulnerable state. I explained why I wanted to pursue law to my parents and 2 hours later here I am with snot and tear stains on my shirt. Yes I was chewed out big time. I eventually cried like a baby. My parents are the classic example of where the child is forced to become a doctor. I've been blackmailed. I am not a tough guy. I pretend to be but in reality a softie. I don't have the life skills to succeed without parental assistance. I was raised over-protectively so I couldn't develop the skills to leave and become independent. If I want housing, financial assistance, I have to pursue medicine. Leaving is not an option. I will have nothing. I honestly would end up homeless. @Goro may think that it's easy to just stand up to things like this, but in reality it's not practical. It's the equivalent of telling someone in poverty to get a job and stop living off welfare. I was raised in an environment where these skills were overlooked or withheld to guarantee my servitude to them. I would not survive the real world. Honestly I'm a high-functioning autist. @leesan23 is my alt account where I've posted sensitive questions. I will not lie. I am not a troll, even though I tell myself that I am to feel better. I simply pathetic and immature. I wish I was never an avid reader. I wish that I never discovered SDN. Had I remained ignorant, I would've been better off. I wouldn't be so conflicted in my studies. I wouldn't worry about the future of the profession. You can tell by my fragmented sentences how hard I try to cover up for my imperfections. It takes me longer to write these posts than the normal user would. For now, I have no other choice than to stick to my pre-health studies. Whether or not I succeed in getting in to med/dental school doesn't matter. At least I will have tried. Again, I wish I was ignorant. Whatever that effect is called where learning more tells you how much you don't know definitely applies. There is no escape—for any of us.
...interesting...

Status
Not open for further replies.