Will DO schools reject a competitive applicant in the MD field because they are a backup

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JoyKim456

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I a very good student (36/3.8) applies to an DO school, will the ADCOM get the message that the student is using the school as safety?

Members don't see this ad.

high numbers will not be a liability for a DO applicant in any way, but do make sure to know a thing or two about osteopathic medicine.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I had a 3.81/35 and got interview invites from every DO school I applied to except 2. Don't stress the numbers, just make sure you shadow a DO and have a good reason to put for applying DO.

I had a 3.81/35 and got interview invites from every DO school I applied to except 2. Don't stress the numbers, just make sure you shadow a DO and have a good reason to put for applying DO.
Oh boy, you're making me nervous. I only applied to 4 DO schools. I just finished applying this week. Makes me think I should add some more. I have a 3.65/35.

Oh boy, you're making me nervous. I only applied to 4 DO schools. I just finished applying this week. Makes me think I should add some more. I have a 3.65/35.
I applied to way more than I should have. With your stats, 6-8 would be ideal, depending on your ECs.

Yes that's an arbitrary number I just made up.

I applied to 13 schools, got invites from 10, MSU doesn't do IIs, and I didn't get an II from PCOM PA or NYCOM. I was accepted to every school I interviewed at and withdrew my application after being accepted to my top choice.

Certain schools (MSU, NYCOM, and PCOM in particular) tend to have their pick of decent students, so they look heavily at ECs. My ECs were strong (>10,000 hours as a respiratory therapist, 1,000 hours as an ED tech), but my volunteering and research was weak, and I think that's what killed me.

If your 4 schools are not MSUCOM, NYCOM, PCOM, or any of the very state-specific schools, you'll probably receive an II if your PS is decent. Statistically, 50% of people interviewed get accepted at most schools, so if you get 2 IIs, you're probably set.

Agree with Mad Jack, have a good reason (DO letter/shadowing/good essays etc.) and they will not pass you up for an interview with higher stats. I had a 3.5/4.0 postbac/34/ very good ECs/previous career but a criminal record and old academic problems and received IIs at 7/8 DO schools I applied, including established ones (TCOM, DMU etc.) as well as II at a range of MD schools.

I didn't have stats quite that high, but they were well above the avg of all DO schools. I got interviews at every school I completed secondaries for.

Reactions: 1 user
We know lots of you guys do that, but we accept you anyway. We don't take it personally as schools like Drexel or Rosy F.
Those schools want to protect their yield especially with the LCME rule that you can put down as many refundable $100 deposits as you want. On the other hand DO schools charge an absurd $1000-2000 nonrefundable deposit that's due in 2 weeks so it's actually in their best interest ($$$) to accept good students who are using the school as a backup early so they can collect more deposits.

And the Carib schools are nicer to students and their money? Enough with the bitterness, meat...it's tiresome.

Those schools want to protect their yield especially with the LCME rule that you can put down as many refundable $100 deposits as you want. On the other hand DO schools charge an absurd $1000-2000 nonrefundable deposit that's due in 2 weeks so it's actually in their best interest ($$$) to accept good students who are using the school as a backup early so they can collect more deposits.

And the Carib schools are nicer to students and their money? Enough with the bitterness, meat...it's tiresome.
I'm not talking abt Carib schools I was responding to you trying to get a cheap shot by calling out US MD schools by name. Very childish. Typical of your style though preying on misinformed premeds