will doing part time lower the chances of admission to dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Brooke yasmene

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I can only do part time college without a doubt because i am in the air force... so doing a full time job i dont think i will be able to do full time.... and i read somewhere that dental schools want people that go to college FULL TIME

because they want to make sure that people will be ready for dental school which i understand

but i am worried that i go through college and end up not being able to get in because i did part time for my bachelors degree:(:(
thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sure programs will understand, so apply broadly. You have to work, it is what it is.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I can only do part time college without a doubt because i am in the air force... so doing a full time job i dont think i will be able to do full time.... and i read somewhere that dental schools want people that go to college FULL TIME because they want to make sure that people will be ready for dental school which i understand but i am worried that i go through college and end up not being able to get in because i did part time for my bachelors degree:(:( thanks in advance

Same boat here: full time military while knocking out pre-dental requirements. It's actually not as uncommon as you would think. I called the top five schools I'm interested and gave them the 60 second rundown of my background. NONE of them had a problem with the fact that I have to take the coursework slower (though I personally think you need to take at least two classes at a time, more if you can handle it). They understand that being in the military requires a lot of time. That said, whatever you do, get As and do well on the DAT. A sob story about working too much having a negative effect on either of those things will not cut it when it comes time to apply (I'm sure that won't be an issue, just putting it out there). Lastly, I'd recommend you do as I did and call the schools. At the very least, they'll know your name and remember you once application season begins.

Members don't see this ad :)
i am in the air force...
Also, I know this has nothing to do with your post, but if "Brooke Yasmene" is your real name, I would strongly advise you to delete this account and start a new account with a pseudonym. Maybe it's because I'm old or that I'm a mom or that I work with a lot of college kids, but it's dangerous to leave an internet trail that can connect back to you. There are a lot of crappy people in this world who would relish the opportunity to take advantage of a bright young individual with a future ahead of her.

Same boat here: full time military while knocking out pre-dental requirements. It's actually not as uncommon as you would think. I called the top five schools I'm interested and gave them the 60 second rundown of my background. NONE of them had a problem with the fact that I have to take the coursework slower (though I personally think you need to take at least two classes at a time, more if you can handle it). They understand that being in the military requires a lot of time. That said, whatever you do, get As and do well on the DAT. A sob story about working too much having a negative effect on either of those things will not cut it when it comes time to apply (I'm sure that won't be an issue, just putting it out there). Lastly, I'd recommend you do as I did and call the schools. At the very least, they'll know your name and remember you once application season begins.
im glad i have someone that is in the same boat!! thanks!!

Also, I know this has nothing to do with your post, but if "Brooke Yasmene" is your real name, I would strongly advise you to delete this account and start a new account with a pseudonym. Maybe it's because I'm old or that I'm a mom or that I work with a lot of college kids, but it's dangerous to leave an internet trail that can connect back to you. There are a lot of crappy people in this world who would relish the opportunity to take advantage of a bright young individual with a future ahead of her.
i guess i will try to change my name on here.... thanks for looking out

I have another question if u dont mind, but how has it been doing classes in person? i know that a lot of dental schools require some classes to be there and not online, is it easy to come in or is it hard sense being active?

I have another question if u dont mind, but how has it been doing classes in person? i know that a lot of dental schools require some classes to be there and not online, is it easy to come in or is it hard sense being active?

Good question. I was concerned about that as well. I have taken (and continue to take) all of the dental school pre-reqs in person at the local state university. Both parts of this statement are important: online learning doesn't hold a candle to in-person in the eyes of an ADCOM and they don't want to see community colleges (unless you have a seriously good story for why you took them there and you've followed up with upper-division science classes at a 4 yr college or university).

As for everything else, I've taken almost all of it online. For example, last semester I took an online histology course through the local community college. It was just a single credit and it required me to memorize a myriad of cell types and structures, things I'd need to know anyway. More importantly, it was an easy boost to my science GPA. If your schedule can support you taking exclusively in-person classes, then by all means go for it. If not, online classes are not the devil (as some students here would make it seem). I will caveat that though: when in doubt, call the schools you are interested in. At the end of the day, it's what the school wants that matters.

As for easy or hard because I'm active? Personally, I think it's been incredibly easy. Sure, I have to work hard and study to get the As I've been earning, but I developed an excellent work ethic while in the Army. I'm going to assume I'm a lot older than you, but the age difference between me and my 18-20 year old peers has also not been an issue. My lab partners have been great and when I say what I want to do, they never disagree! (Not sure if that's because I seem intimidating and they don't want to tell the old Army chick "no," but it's worked for me so far! :laugh:)

Reactions: 1 user
I 2nd calling schools. Especially about online. One school mentioned I should call other schools to bring it up since it IS becoming a more common occurrence - especially with nontrads.
However, I got the feeling if it's between me and another of similar stats and interview and they didn't take any online then they're picked. :shrug:

I loved online learning and really think it helped me personally get back in the groove of school and allowed me to do it while moving a lot.

As long as you have good grades and do well on the DAT, being enrolled part-time won't matter much.

Good question. I was concerned about that as well. I have taken (and continue to take) all of the dental school pre-reqs in person at the local state university. Both parts of this statement are important: online learning doesn't hold a candle to in-person in the eyes of an ADCOM and they don't want to see community colleges (unless you have a seriously good story for why you took them there and you've followed up with upper-division science classes at a 4 yr college or university).

As for everything else, I've taken almost all of it online. For example, last semester I took an online histology course through the local community college. It was just a single credit and it required me to memorize a myriad of cell types and structures, things I'd need to know anyway. More importantly, it was an easy boost to my science GPA. If your schedule can support you taking exclusively in-person classes, then by all means go for it. If not, online classes are not the devil (as some students here would make it seem). I will caveat that though: when in doubt, call the schools you are interested in. At the end of the day, it's what the school wants that matters.

As for easy or hard because I'm active? Personally, I think it's been incredibly easy. Sure, I have to work hard and study to get the As I've been earning, but I developed an excellent work ethic while in the Army. I'm going to assume I'm a lot older than you, but the age difference between me and my 18-20 year old peers has also not been an issue. My lab partners have been great and when I say what I want to do, they never disagree! (Not sure if that's because I seem intimidating and they don't want to tell the old Army chick "no," but it's worked for me so far! :laugh:)
Oh great thats good news to me :)