Will double majors really help get into Pharmacy School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tferon

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. First time here in this forums.

Now, I know this type of question has been asked many times, and many people have said that double majors does not help.

But I still feel skeptical about this..

Originally, I was going for a Biology major. However, considering that many students are pursuing this major, I would not stand out as much when applying to Pharmacy schools.

Therefore, if I had two different majors, wouldn't I stand out more? Hence, having a double major WOULD actually help get into Pharmacy school, am I wrong?

This is a schedule of my classes for BS in Biology AND Biochemistry. I only have two years left till graduation. I don't plan on staying for more than 4+ years.
Fall 2014
Biochemistry I
Microbiology
Kinesiology I
Music
Total Hrs: 18

Spring 2015
Kinesiology II
Genetics
Biochemistry II
Statistics
Organic Chemistry Lab
Total hrs: 17

Summer 2015
Calculus II
Physics Lab II

Fall 2015
Physical Chem I
Analytical Chem
Cell Biology
Biochemistry Lab
Genetics Lab
Capstone
Total hrs: 16

Spring 2016
Physical Chem II
Physical Chem Lab
Evolution and Ecology
Physiology: Plants and Animal
Inorganic Chemistry
Capstone
Total hrs: 16

I also still have yet to prepare for PCAT.

Yes, it's quite a lot of load, which is why I'm asking this question. If it really does help me stand out more (with a good GPA) to get into Pharmacy, then I will persevere and dedicate myself with this schedule.

Otherwise, if it doesn't help me, then I will drop this schedule and just continue to enjoy my final years as an undergraduate.

Thank you for your time. I look forward to your replies. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Plenty of people double major. It's not unique in any way. What's most important is getting a good GPA, no matter what your major. You can major in other things other than bio, btw. You also need to prepare for the PCAT. What makes you stand out, IMHO, isn't necessarily good grades or a good PCAT score (both are essentially required..), but your life OUTSIDE of the classroom. Spin that and make yourself "stand out" that way.

But if I've learned anything wandering around SDN, is that nothing is truly unique. ADCOMS have seen everything before, but your personal experiences and how you reflect on them is what makes you unique.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't think double major would help a lot since they don't care what major in your undergrad. Work on your GPA and PCAT and get more experience

Members don't see this ad :)
That's a lot to take with PChem.... Only top students can handle that kind of schedule well.

if you have a double major with a 4.0, yes. if you have a double major with a 2.0....no....

Like others have posted I feel you would have the best shot with a solid gpa 3.5+ and a PCAT of 75+ for any state schools. Those should be the main focus. If you can handle the workload then great. If not it'll hurt you more in the long run if you can't stay afloat through your double major.

Never taken pchem.

Wants to take pchem 2 with other courses.

LOL

Reactions: 1 user
Never taken pchem.

Wants to take pchem 2 with other courses.

LOL

It can be done, I took it with 3 other chem courses (one being the lab), and an upper div U requirement. But it was difficult and I was in the top 3 of my chem courses.

I was a double major bio/chem and thus I have 2 bachelor's degrees. GPA wasn't special: 3.0 but I also had 12 years experience in the pharmaceutical industry. At the school I applied to, I was told that my degrees counted for points toward my application evaluation along with work experience. So yes, I would say that my degrees helped me get into to pharmacy school. I guess you can always call the school that you are interested in to see what their take is on double majors. Good luck!

I think a double-major can help make you more competitive, but not by virtue of just having the degrees. Usually people thinking of this try to double-major or just major in another discipline besides the most common like Bio or Chem.

In this case I think it serves little purpose unless you have genuine interest in the chem classes. For example, at my undergrad almost everyone in Biology could get a minor in Chemistry with just one additional class. What you're doing is showing that you can handle a tough academic load, but will this make you suffer in your extracurriculars and make you less well-rounded? When it comes to majors, I usually tell people to just major in what you actually like and make sure to do well in your prereqs.

I majored in bio and didn't like chem as much. There's no way I would have double-majored in chem in lieu of working in a pharmacy or the other activities I did. What I did do with some extra academic time and Summers was minor in Philosophy, which I really enjoyed. I think it helped my application a little... not because it was checked off as being my minor, but because I actually talked about it and how it helped me.

Another thing to consider is finishing sooner with only one major rather than two (if possible). That would save you money and potentially leave you time before applying to pursue what you want.