Will emailing or calling to ask about application status help you in any way?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beebee0

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you email a professor and tell them that you are really interested in going to their school, is it better than not emailing at all? Or will it likely to annoy the professor? I'm just wondering because I got this email from UNC that their decisions will be made in the "next few weeks" (Did anyone else get this email by the way?) . I has been a few weeks, and I still don't hear from them yet!

Members don't see this ad.

I called someone in the Admissions Office at Michigan and she said that she put a note in my file that I inquired about my application and that I was interested in coming (which I definitely was).

I then wrote a letter to one of the professors basically saying that Michigan I want to go there and specifically how I would use a Michigan education to help the local Detroit/Michigan community (so basically, make a case as to why I had to go to Michigan).

It definitely helped me. I don't have as great of stats as some of the other posters here, but I just got accepted to the University of Michigan for Fall 2010.

My 2 cents: Calling won't hurt and really making your case won't hurt. If you don't get in, a call wasn't really what ultimately held you back AND if you play your cards well, you might actually make something great happen!