Will Epidemiology Suffice the Bio Stats/Math Credit?

surfguy84

7+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2012
Status
Medical Student
I have noticed several schools require 1-2 semesters of math. Some of these schools specifically indicate stats/bio stats is accepted for this math requirement.

Since epi is essentially a function of bio stats, would it follow that epi can fulfill a math requirement?

Nov 10, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
Sorry to butt in your thread, but I have a similar question as well!

I received AP credit from BC Calc and Stat, but as I've learned, medical schools will not accept them as their two semesters of math. That leaves me with higher maths than Calc II (and as much as I like math, I really don't want to go beyond that) and as OP mentioned, Biostats. What do you guys recommend? Thanks.

I have noticed several schools require 1-2 semesters of math. Some of these schools specifically indicate stats/bio stats is accepted for this math requirement.

Since epi is essentially a function of bio stats, would it follow that epi can fulfill a math requirement?
I'm pretty sure epi is counted under health sciences and not maths. The best way to find out is to check the AMCAS instruction manual. If its cross listed with a math class or taught through the biostats department you may be able to get away with it though.

I received AP credit from BC Calc and Stat, but as I've learned, medical schools will not accept them as their two semesters of math. That leaves me with higher maths than Calc II (and as much as I like math, I really don't want to go beyond that) and as OP mentioned, Biostats. What do you guys recommend? Thanks.
Some schools do accept AP credit for Math once it appears on your school transcript.

Narmerguy

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2007

Unfortunately, I doubt this will count as a math requirement. It's worth a try, but schools usually want to see a MTH department for the course.

Apr 23, 2013
Status
Medical Student

I doubt that this would work. Epi does involve a lot of math, but the subject itself encompasses much more than just statistical techniques.

Maybe you could swing it by showing a syllabus that is very math heavy, but do you really want to chance that at every med school you apply to? I'd bit the bullet and take a math class if I were you.

Are the AP credits on your transcript? If they are you might be ok...I didn't look into it in detail but I thought I saw that some schools will accept AP credit for math when they won't for things like bio or chem.

Statistics is much more relevant to the practice of medicine than calculus, so if you're picking just one I'd do stats.

I doubt that this would work. Epi does involve a lot of math, but the subject itself encompasses much more than just statistical techniques.

Maybe you could swing it by showing a syllabus that is very math heavy, but do you really want to chance that at every med school you apply to? I'd bit the bullet and take a math class if I were you.

Are the AP credits on your transcript? If they are you might be ok...I didn't look into it in detail but I thought I saw that some schools will accept AP credit for math when they won't for things like bio or chem.

Statistics is much more relevant to the practice of medicine than calculus, so if you're picking just one I'd do stats.
How do you multi quote?

OP
S

surfguy84

7+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2012
Status
Medical Student
I'm pretty sure epi is counted under health sciences and not maths. The best way to find out is to check the AMCAS instruction manual. If its cross listed with a math class or taught through the biostats department you may be able to get away with it though.
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I've done some searching and I've seen instances where a poster has counted it as a math credit and said AMCAS accepted this. I have seen other instances where they have not accepted it. In both of the previous instances, poster's indicated the class was given through a bio/public health department, not math. This just confuses me....