Will filing separately or jointly effect my student aid?

Jul 22, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
Does anybody know if filing married-separately or jointly effects how much student aid I will receive???????
We are planning on filing jointly at the moment, but I feel like FAFSA is going to include my wife's income either way......

Illfavor

5+ Year Member
Jan 3, 2012
Texas
Status
Pre-Dental
Does anybody know if filing married-separately or jointly effects how much student aid I will receive???????
We are planning on filing jointly at the moment, but I feel like FAFSA is going to include my wife's income either way......
Her income will be reported/included IIRC.

I'm sorta worried, since my family will be losing half its income next year (as I stop working), yet I may get reduced student aid because of last year's income.

Dec 4, 2013
Status
Pre-Dental
If you are married, you must include your spouse's income on the FASFA, I don't believe you have an option.

sacapuntas

Verified Account
Feb 25, 2011
Status
Dental Student
Her income will be reported/included IIRC.

I'm sorta worried, since my family will be losing half its income next year (as I stop working), yet I may get reduced student aid because of last year's income.

Stafford Loans and grad plus loans are not need based, so you won't be at any risk of not getting enough aid to cover your school's tuition plus whatever TX determines the cost of living to be (though the COL is based on a single person, and doesn't include anything for spouse/children).

Illfavor

5+ Year Member
Jan 3, 2012
Texas
Status
Pre-Dental
Stafford Loans and grad plus loans are not need based, so you won't be at any risk of not getting enough aid to cover your school's tuition plus whatever TX determines the cost of living to be (though the COL is based on a single person, and doesn't include anything for spouse/children).
Great points, thanks!