Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Will getting into med school become harder

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by jkjkjk, May 17, 2008.

1. jkjkjk

2+ Year Member

Since getting into a good college is becoming harder and harder every year, i was wondering if getting into med school will start to become harder.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. HumidBeing

HumidBeing In Memory of Riley Jane
    Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 2+ Year Member

There are more seats becoming available, but the population is also growing. There will continue to be a greater number of qualified applicants than there are seats available. I don't know if it will be more difficult, but it will certainly stay highly competitive.

4. JMedical08

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    One theory I have about the increased number of applicants: maybe people who would have taken a year off were able to take the MCAT earlier because of the new format and applied this year instead. It could be that we see a return to a normal year this year, because it may have reached equilibrium after only one year. But good general points HumidBeing, I think you are correct.

5. beachblonde

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    It's pretty standard that with the worse the economy gets, the more competitive pre-professional programs become. I'd be willing to put money on the 2008-2009 cycle having more applicants than the current cycle.

At least with colleges, there are spots (somewhere) for everybody who wants one. Medical schools, however, simply can't expand very fast to fill the current void. Opening up a med school is way expensive.

6. JMedical08

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

Just quick question about this logic, because I've heard it and it makes sense but I never understood one thing: what kind of lag time is needed for people to decide, hey ill go to med school instead of investment banking, because it takes a significant amount of time to prepare for med school and the economy (as far as banking/consulting jobs) just went bad a few months ago. Is it that those who are on the cusp go to med school? And, if so, how many people would that be after 3 months of low hiring? In my experience, the i-banking and consulting people were not usually the same people considering med school. I would think there would be a bigger impact from the economy in a year or 2. Probably even a lag effect, so even if the economy improves many people will choose to continue with the med school path.

7. beachblonde

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hmm, well, I approach the situation in a different light: there are probably plenty of people who intended upon delaying their app to med schools for a year or so after college, yet when they realize that jobs were few and far between, went ahead an applied. So it's not necessarily that these people weren't ever going to go to whatever graduate education, it's just that they're trying to do it sooner.

As for turnaround, I can't say how fast it happens. I'm hardly an economist. But it's not like the crappy economy happened overnight, it's been going downhill for a while.

Plus, don't forget the inevitable batch of kids who realized that they were about to graduate from college and had no idea what they wanted to do....so they applied to law school in lieu of getting a job. :laugh:

8. ADeadLois

ADeadLois Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    By that logic, wouldn't the amount of applicants go down? Going into six figure debt is not very palatable in a tanking economy.

9. pfh

pfh Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

how many applicants is it per "seat/spot" right now? like how many people apply versus how many people matriculate

10. DoubleBundle

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I don't understand why people are so down on the economy right now. People seriously talk like we are in the great depression. Sure gas prices are high and interest rates are bad but what is the dow jones at right now, 13,000? I hardly call that a "tanking economy".

Things like medical school admissions move in cycles. However many years from now applications will eventually fall and therefore class seats will be decreased. Admissions will still remain competitive though due to this cause and effect relationship. One cannot predict the future but it would hard to see this happening within the next 5 years.

11. not so calm now

5+ Year Member

Medical Student

You should definitely listen to the recent episode "The Giant Pool of Money" of This American Life.

http://thislife.org/Radio_Episode.aspx?sched=1242

12. beachblonde

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Well, no, the idea is that with a plummeting economy, there are fewer jobs to be had. So people go to graduate programs and hopefully ride out the bad economy, so that when they graduate their job prospects will be much better (and hence, they can pay off those loans). I think the phenomena is based much more upon jobs than the debt incurred while in school.

13. ctv1116

ctv1116 Member
    7+ Year Member

as someone who currently works in that industry, and is considering leaving to pursue medical school, yes, there will be an increase in med school applications starting in the 2009/10 cycle, probably extending into the 2010/2011 and 11/12 cycles, as current college freshman consider a med school path as opposed to the "easy money" of finance.

14. helsizzle

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Actually, I think it's going to get worse. This year was supposedly the hardest year to get into undergrad (I think because the baby boomers' kids were all applying). Imagine in 4-5 years when they're all trying to get into professional school...or even a job. Yikes.

15. phonyreal98

10+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    You're right actually.

Our economy isn't as bad as people are making it out to be. Technically speaking, we're not in a recession. A recession is defined as either two or three consecutive quarters of negative growth of a country's GDP. Last quarter (or maybe it was the last quarter of 2007), the US's GDP grew by .2%.

However, as one economist commented on this "recession": 'If it quacks like a duck and looks like a duck, most people will think it is a duck, even if it isn't.'

16. TheRealMD

TheRealMD "The Mac Guy"
    5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    We may not be in a recession but people are hurting. $4 gas affects EVERYTHING such that you aren't able to enjoy life quite as often anymore. And people see no real sign of relief in the near future.

It's not like anyone is actually predicting for things to get magically better. The price of all goods has gone up rapidly in the past 8 years. That is what people think about and what the next 8 years might hold.

17. Terpskins99

Terpskins99 Fear... The Stig
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Maybe not the banker-types, but the consulting field is flooded with former premeds.

Its funny, most doctors I've run across are clueless when it comes to personal investing.