This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MRAL

Reaction score
Hello everyone! This is my first time asking a question on this forum. A little about myself, I'm currently in my first semester of DIY post-bacc and luckily enough, I've managed to cram all my classes (12 credits) on MWF, and I'm doing really well. Next semester I will not be as lucky as I've only managed to enroll in 2 science classes (8 credits) without any scheduling conflicts on MWF. This is a problem because I commute about two hours to school. Understandably so, I want to take all my prereqs on MWF. My University is a small institution with few options for science course enrollment. Additionally, I don't want to take classes I don't need just to be full-time on MWF, and I don't want to drive four hours every day while being full-time and taking nothing but science prereqs. (Not sustainable in the long run = BAD GRADES)

What should I do to prove to medical schools I'm not making a hasty/dumb decision or that I'm being lazy? I want to do well in my science prereqs but I also want to show academic rigor. It seems that this will not be the only time this happens while I'm doing my DIY post-bacc.

Ps. I'm on a veteran scholarship that supports my family and me financially. I'm also in the Army National Guard if that matters at all.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Hello everyone! This is my first time asking a question on this forum. A little about myself, I'm currently in my first semester of DIY post-bacc and luckily enough, I've managed to cram all my classes (12 credits) on MWF, and I'm doing really well. Next semester I will not be as lucky as I've only managed to enroll in 2 science classes (8 credits) without any scheduling conflicts on MWF. This is a problem because I commute about two hours to school. Understandably so, I want to take all my prereqs on MWF. My University is a small institution with few options for science course enrollment. Additionally, I don't want to take classes I don't need just to be full-time on MWF, and I don't want to drive four hours every day while being full-time and taking nothing but science prereqs. (Not sustainable in the long run = BAD GRADES)

What should I do to prove to medical schools I'm not making a hasty/dumb decision or that I'm being lazy? I want to do well in my science prereqs but I also want to show academic rigor. It seems that this will not be the only time this happens while I'm doing my DIY post-bacc.

Ps. I'm on a veteran scholarship that supports my family and me financially. I'm also in the Army National Guard if that matters at all.
First, if you are a veteran, thank you for your service! Second, if anyone thinks you are lazy, they need to listen better to your situation. Do what you need to do.

Reactions: 3 users
The commute time is equivalent to a part time job, and your drills ARE a part time job, + continuing to meet your APFT standards which requires mandatory training time throughout the week.

In this situation I would be more worried about your car breaking down that trying to explain why you were only in 8 credits.

Reactions: 1 user
Academic rigor is one of those things that only really applies at the fringes. For example, if you have a heavy schedule and get C's, it won't matter in the least b/c your GPA will be what keeps you out. If you have a light schedule for an extended period of time AND there is nothing in your application to hint that you had a reason for it, then maybe it would be a detriment, but it still wouldn't keep you out. Schools love GPA + MCAT. If you have both of those locked up, you are 90% of the way home.

I'm a veteran and had some semesters that weren't full-time, but it was easily explained by other activities on my CV and my PS. None of my interviewers ever asked me about it.

Reactions: 1 user