Will going to a community college hurt my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Karina

Surgeon in training...
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I think I need some advice. I'm new to this country(I've been here for almost a year now). I came straight out of high school, with no money or a clue. I ended up doing very well on my ACT and passed the TOEFL with a very good score. But the money thing made me go to a community college. I'm a biology major, I'm in the honors program, I do volunteer work at a local children's hospital, and if everything turns out well with my papers I'll start doing research sometime next year. I had a 4.00 for 2 semesters(I know, I know...at a community college), now I got this B at this class and it's down to a 3.86...I'm willing to try really hard not to drop my GPA too much. But back to my question...Will going to a Community College hurt my chances? I'm really still trying to figure out the way things work around here. And some people have told me that I made a mistake. Maybe you guys could give me some advice, or maybe someone who went through the same thing(more or less) could let me in a couple of secrets. I dunno..I need help!
Appreciate it! :)

Members don't see this ad.

There have been past posts regarding this topic so try searching for some of them. Of all the schools I've contacted, NONE of them said that my CC work will be a problem as long as I demonstrate the same level of knowledge on the MCAT as everyone else. Also, make sure the CC is "regionally accredited". That is imporant.

Why do you make it sound as if CC's are inferior? You said "I know, I know...at a community college". When I contacted Tulane University School of Medicine, I had a similar tone and the director of admissions wondered why and corrected me. He said there's nothing wrong with attending a CC. He said "Many students have been accepted with backgrounds similar to yours". Also, he mentioned that I was a unique candidate because I went to a CC and I'll stand out. Seriously! Don't feel bad about going to a CC. I went to one out of circumstance. I'm poor and my family has serious health problems, so I had little choice. I just don't understand why you look down on your community college work, Admissions committees don't! So why do you?

hey karina!
it's me jose and welcome to sdn. i see it was your first post. i also read that you are volunteering at miami childrens. where have you been? drop me an e-mail. did you get the "B" in english? i told ya before that cc is okay and just make good grades and kick ass on the MCAT. Hope to hear from you soon. take care Dominican Princess!

Boricua man! Ya tu save!

:cool: