Will grad classes now help for next fall admission?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joedo

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been lurking on here for a while and noticed that a lot of people give sound advice.

So, will taking grad classes now help me for fall 2003 admissions? Will they take it into consideration that i'm taking these classes, and when I complete them take notice of the grades?

Any help would be great.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, grad school classes are great to have on your transcripts, especially if you have a shaky academic record.

When you fill out your application next year, you will have to put down in your primary application every class you ever took. You'll have to include your grad school grades so they will see it. If they're science oriented grad school classes that's even better.

hey thanks for responding.
Im taking grad classes now and I hope to go to med school next fall.. so i'm filling out applcations right now.
Thats why i'm asking, becuase schools will see that i'm taking classes but not the grades until the end of the semester(s).

Members don't see this ad :)
Your question seems to be will grad school classes now help if you're entering medical school during 2003.

First of all, good grades in science courses will help you no matter what. That's the obvious answer.

Grad school classes is pretty broad. Without knowing what you're major is, or what your background is, so it's hard to answer without more specific information.

Any science classes you take will help you in medical school. Even if you get an F in anatomy now, it will help you to have seen some of the material when you take it in medical school, because the pace will be so fast. Immunology, Biochemistry, Anatomy, Microbiology, Cell and Molecular Biology, Physiology will all help.

Your question asks about helping you get admitted. If you are taking non-science graduate school courses, will it make sense to an admission's committee who is trying to judge how committed you are to medicine? If you are taking science graduate school courses that directly relate to something you will need in medicine, of course it will help you with admissions. It shows you are serious about medicine.

Perhaps your G.P.A. is low. If it is, then good grades in a science course will of course help show the admissions committees that you can do well in science courses, and may sway them if you are placed on a waitlist because of your grades.