Will grad school help me get into Medical school??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bmonster

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So here is my dilemma. I'm graduating in a month with a BS in Human Bio but my GPA will be about a 3.4 if everything goes according to plan. I take my MCAT in July and i feel this GPA will not be strong enough even if i get above a 30 on my MCAT. i was considering doing a SMP but i'm taking my MCAT too late so i wouldn't be able to apply for the fall

Here are my questions:
1. Should i consider doing a Masters program that isn't a SMP but would just be a Masters in Physiology for example and start in the Fall or possibly Spring?
2. I've also come across certificate programs. Has anyone heard of these or heard of these helping when it comes to getting into med school?

I'm not quite sure what to do! Between doing a certificate program and not getting a degree out of it, or just doing a regular masters. I want something to show these med schools i can handle the course load but i wasn't sure if a regular Masters would be looked at differently than a SMP. Thank you for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

The BCPM GPA of a hard-science masters would be considered at some, but not most medical schools, due to presumed grade inflation at the graduate level and the difficulty of comparing applicants that don't have the same educational credentials.

An SMP has the potential of overriding a poor undergrad GPA. You are essentially paying for an audition at a med school to prove you have what it takes, while competing with current med students. These programs are competitive, and its generally a good idea to already have some strong grades in upper-level Bio to show them you have the potential to do well. Unfortunately, if you don't do very well in the program, it would be a huge waste of money to no good purpose.

I don't know anything about how a certificate program improves your chances, other than at the sponsoring institution. If you ask one of their advisors about success rates of their alums, they may lump DO and MD acceptees into the same pool, making it harder to determine if it will help your goals.

Here is a good list of programs with links to more info: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=640302

You'd also have the option of doing a do-it-yourself postbac (or delaying graduation), where straight As during a year of upper-level Bio cousework might convince adcomms to take a chance on you. It would help if you already have a semester or two of improving grades during senior year.

You're fine for any DO school with that GPA.

So here is my dilemma. I'm graduating in a month with a BS in Human Bio but my GPA will be about a 3.4 if everything goes according to plan. I take my MCAT in July and i feel this GPA will not be strong enough even if i get above a 30 on my MCAT. i was considering doing a SMP but i'm taking my MCAT too late so i wouldn't be able to apply for the fall

1. Should i consider doing a Masters program that isn't a SMP but would just be a Masters in Physiology for example and start in the Fall or possibly Spring?
I am only seriously considering this if the program is in a medical school, and requires the first year medical curriculum.

2. I've also come across certificate programs. Has anyone heard of these or heard of these helping when it comes to getting into med school?
I am only seriously considering this if the program is in a medical school, and requires the first year medical curriculum. This helps, yes, per my discussion with admissions committee members.

The obvious difference is 1(certificate) or 2(MS) years - maybe having a gap year. And beyond that, you really need to compare each program, visit schools, understand the program components, get to know faculty, and understand the support services in place...along with know the success of those that came before you, with similar goals.