Will having a bad grade in Pre-Cal affect my chances in Calculus 1 freshman year of college?

I_am_sleep_deprived

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I'm a junior in HS taking pre-AP algebra 2 and I'm during horribly at it. It is 2nd semester and I don't understand concepts such as Algorithms and Logarithms and I'm making a 75 right now.

My question is, if I do terrible in HS Pre-AP Precal, getting C's, how that affect me in Calculus 1 freshman year? If I gets a 70 for the year, can I still do well in college calculus?

Members don't see this ad.

I barely passed Precalc Honors with 2 very low Bs both semesters. Then I aced AB Calc, and now I'm doing alright in Multivariable Calc. It's just about how willing you are to get good grades. I wasn't motivated in Precalc and didn't really study (effectively, that is). The great part of math is that you just need to constantly practice problems to do well. Good luck.

Don't assume you'll do bad in pre-calc, just study really hard and try to understand the best you can. Some concepts click well while others don't. Calculus is pretty different than pre-calc so just wait and see because you might understand one over the other.

A low grade in Pre-Calc won't necessarily ruin your chances in Calculus. That being said, college is a while away. Just do your best to earn a good grade in the meantime, and learn your strongest study skills. Once the semester is over, you can reflect on said skills and strive to improve (or alter) them.