This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should I get the second dog?

• Yes, it will be tough, but yes

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters

abcdeltaforce

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, so I am an undergrad looking at going in Neurology (Possibly Oncology) after my BA, which means medical school. I have a 6 month old incredibly easy puppy who is an amazing part of my life. I love having a dog and will never regret getting him as he is my best friend and understands when I stay home studying even on weekends.

So here is my question. A friend recently announced she's expecting a baby and she can't keep her two year old female husky anymore and was wondering if I could take her. I'm all about dogs-they really do have a spot in my heart. She is such a sweetheart and doesn't chew things up as long as she has toys (like any regular dog). So my issue is that I'm wondering if it is possible to care for two dogs in medical school? This is clearly a while off, but I'm trying to think about the future as much as possible. For those of you that are there/have been there already:
*Was it too time consuming with even one pet? If you have two, was it manageable?
*Do they entertain each other? I walk Koda once a day in the mornings and wouldn't mind taking Kyah with us as a new companion, but my biggest concern is that at some point I'll be so wrapped up in classes that Koda will be home alone for 5+ hours a day. Obviously in med school it will be more like 24+ hours at a time, but if he were to have a friend, would it help him? Would it prevent him from getting lonely? I don't believe in giving up dogs so I'm really looking in his best interest.
*Was it difficult finding roommates in medical school? I am 100% fine living with other people and prefer it so I could trust (and perhaps pay) them to take care of my pets.
*If you don't have roommates, was it hard to find walkers/feeders?

I can't rely on the idea that I might be married/have a SO by this time, so I'm truly wondering this as a single dog mom with the potential (and hope) for roommates.

I understand this is a lot of responsibility, I've always understood the financial burden that pets are and I know they'll require time even if they have each other. To completely sum up this post in one question: Will having two dogs during medical school ruin my life?

If you think this is manageable, advice would be appreciated. If I were to get into med school my first try, right after my senior year, my dogs would then be 3 and 5 at that point. If it were later, they'd obviously be older. Thank you, and please be patient with me! I know it sounds ridiculous but I'm trying to do this in my dog and her dog's best interest. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! This question would probably get a better response in the general medical school forums. Medical school is certainly possible with two dogs. Single mothers somehow make it through medical school. However, huskies need a lot of exercise, runs, outside time, etc., or they don't do well. It would probably be easier if your medical school has the option of watching lectures online.

Good luck!

I just finished first year of med school about a month ago and have two dogs. I am married, but my wife was even busier than me concerning time this year so it's not like she could take care of the dogs all of the time.

I feel like, with our dogs' personalities, having two of them is necessary. They are best friends and definitely keep each other company when my wife and I are not around. Also, my school does have online lectures and our dogs are inside of the house the majority of the time when my wife or I are home (we have a small back yard). They get to go out several times a week whether its walks or to the dog parks, but there have been weeks where we only got to take them out on the weekends.
However, you have to know your dog(s) and the personalities. Some dogs may not be ok with being without another dog, while some may prefer it. I can't tell you what do do, but I can tell you from your end that it will not likely ruin your life. My life was fine and I have to cook meals for one of my dogs every day because of her allergies.

Best of luck.