MD Will I be considered for admission?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MiliV

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I am starting college on January and plan to major in Biology. Besides all the requirements I must meet before being considered for admissions at any medical school, my biggest concern is that English is not my first language. I am a U. S. citizen, but I was raised in Mexico, which means I completed all my basic education in Mexico.

I will like to know if the fact that English is not my first language will somehow affect my admission offers to medical school.

(Yes, I am going to an American university.)

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong section and thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone!

I am starting college on January and plan to major in Biology. Besides all the requirements I must meet before being considered for admissions at any medical school, my biggest concern is that English is not my first language. I am a U. S. citizen, but I was raised in Mexico, which means I completed all my basic education in Mexico.

I will like to know if the fact that English is not my first language will somehow affect my admission offers to medical school.

(Yes, I am going to an American university.)

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong section and thanks.

The fact that you're an URM applicant should positively affect your chances to medical schools as long as you do respectfully well on the MCAT and maintain a solid GPA.

As long as you can communicate at a professional fluency/bilingual level, that aspect of the interview is fine

Mexican-Americans are considered "underrepresented in medicine". This is beneficial to your chances of obtaining admission. A history of service to the Mexican-American community, as demonstrated through volunteer work, will help you further, as will fluency in Spanish.

With regards to English not being your first language, it will only affect one area: the CARS section of the MCAT, which is based on verbal skills in English. The CARS section requires an excellent grasp of English and you must perform well in it- around the 53rd percentile or so, I would say. Many native speakers do not do well. If you do poorly in CARS but good on the other sections, it will still negatively affect your chances for admission. I would take extra time to devote to this material.

Members don't see this ad :)
The fact that you're an URM applicant should positively affect your chances to medical schools as long as you do respectfully well on the MCAT and maintain a solid GPA.

As long as you can communicate at a professional fluency/bilingual level, that aspect of the interview is fine
Thank you for answering, I will do my very best.

Mexican-Americans are considered "underrepresented in medicine". This is beneficial to your chances of obtaining admission. A history of service to the Mexican-American community, as demonstrated through volunteer work, will help you further, as will fluency in Spanish.

With regards to English not being your first language, it will only affect one area: the CARS section of the MCAT, which is based on verbal skills in English. The CARS section requires an excellent grasp of English and you must perform well in it- around the 53rd percentile or so, I would say. Many native speakers do not do well. If you do poorly in CARS but good on the other sections, it will still negatively affect your chances for admission. I would take extra time to devote to this material.
Thank you for answering, and I will pay especial attention to that section when studying for the MCAT.