will i be considered non trad by MD schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmacytech

put in the effort...M.D!!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i waited a year to begin full time undergraduate work (started at a cc). i regret waiting:oops: but hey, gotta move on. you can follow my story and plans via my sig...and im sticking with this plan for sure....

by the same i apply to medical school (i would really prefer to get into an MD school, i know that may be superficial, buts thats just me)..i will be a little over 24(bday=feb 24).

i've read that MD schools tend to not favor "non trads" as much as DO schools...but this may just be a generalization....

will i be considered non trad?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know that they really sort candidates into "Trad" and "Non-Trad", I think every candidate gets individual consideration... but you definately have more "traditional" qualities than "non" to your application

Members don't see this ad :)
i waited a year to begin full time undergraduate work (started at a cc). i regret waiting:oops: but hey, gotta move on. you can follow my story and plans via my sig...and im sticking with this plan for sure....

by the same i apply to medical school (i would really prefer to get into an MD school, i know that may be superficial, buts thats just me)..i will be a little over 24(bday=feb 24).

i've read that MD schools tend to not favor "non trads" as much as DO schools...but this may just be a generalization....

It is not a non-traditional versus traditional student competition for seats in medical school. It is applicant versus applicant. You are likely to find that should you be admitted, you are about the average age of most traditional medical school matriculants.

That being said, unlike most traditional medical school applicants, you started your undergraduate experience at a community college. This isn't going to make much of a difference one way or the other.

If you have a competitive application, regardless of age, you are likely to become a matriculant at allopathic or osteopathic medical school. There is no preference or demerits given for age alone.

Get your applicant competitive and apply to any schools that you are interested in attending. There is not "favoritism" either way.

It is not a non-traditional versus traditional student competition for seats in medical school. It is applicant versus applicant.

So that explains this...
applicantkombatrp8.jpg

Non-trad usually means that you took 2+ years off between undergrad and application, in either a post-bac program or some other grad program, or worked.

First, there is an active thread on this on the nontrad board. The consensus is it is bunk, with quite a few successful nontrads posting about their very positive experiences with med schools and the application process. You appear to have read and adopted the significantly minority viewpoint. Don't buy into that -- it's not accurate and likely stems from understandingly upset folks who didn't get in for reasons totally unrelated to their nontrad status.
Second, med schools don't classify folks as trad or nontrad, as has been said in this thread. To some extent they consider age in terms of class diversity, and to the extent you have more years of ECs that sometimes helps. The very old applicants may face a certain amount of age bias (illegal, but likely happens), but there isn't hard evidence on this, and it won't be an issue for someone in their 20s or 30s. The average age at all allo med schools is about 24, so they are obviously accepting at least some folks over that age.