Will I be good if I apply at the end of august to DO schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DEPsiAnimus3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I am taking my mcats on july 28th. I wanted to apply to DO schools as early as possible but I don't have any shadowing experience. I can start shadowing a DO and even a MD as soon as I am done with my mcats and will get a recommendation letter from him/them. Is it too late if I apply to DO schools by mid to end of august?

Members don't see this ad.

No, it won't be "too late" depending on your circumstances. The Current DO average is 3.48/27, so if you have that or higher, you will still be in the game. Lower than that, you may be coming in a little bit late to the party. If you have hospital volunteering, I'd suggest you simply apply now. If you know you'll have that shadowing, by the time they ask for letters of rec, you should have one ready. Some schools are okay with no letter or MD, while others require DO, so make a wise choice of where you apply.

Here are stats:

I have a 3.51 cGPA, 3.1 sGPA.

I have 3 months of research experience in kidney disease which got published in Journal of American Society of Nephrology.

I have 101 volunteer hours at VCU/MCV Hospital. Departments:
1. Surgical Trauma ICU
2. Surgical Services
3. Occupational Therapy
4. Post Anesthesia Care Unit
5. Palliative Care Unit.

I have been a active volunteer for Juvenille Diabetes Research Foundation.

Lots of extra-curricular activities

Also, I will have a DO to shadow asap after my exams and will get a letter from him.

So should I just apply now? and send the rec letter from a DO later?

Members don't see this ad :)
why not shadow the DO before your MCAT, are you really going to be studying everyday all day until the end of July? Even if you just go for a couple of days you can get to know the doc and get a feel for if you think they would be willing to even write a letter. The doc I shadowed took FOREVER to get the letter in, so keep that in mind as well.

The Doctor I will be shadowing is in PA and I am home in TX. :(
But the doctor will write me a letter for sure.

you should be fine, I applied late august and I got several acceptances, just make sure to have your secondaries ready to go so you can submit them as you get them

you should be fine, I applied late august and I got several acceptances, just make sure to have your secondaries ready to go so you can submit them as you get them

Just wondering but did you have spectacular stats? I have a 3.3s and a 25 mcat, which was 3-5 points lower than what I averaged on my practice tests so I know i can get higher. But i was deciding between july 16 and july 28. If I take July 28 which means the earliest schools can look at me is august 28 is that a major disadvantage with my stats? My EC's are pretty good and i will have all my letters of recommendation in way beforehand as well as sending out my secondaries as soon as i get them. Now if I don't tell aacomas that I'm planning on retaking it should I take the chance of schools looking at my application with just my 25 mcat?

Just wondering but did you have spectacular stats? I have a 3.3s and a 25 mcat, which was 3-5 points lower than what I averaged on my practice tests so I know i can get higher. But i was deciding between july 16 and july 28. If I take July 28 which means the earliest schools can look at me is august 28 is that a major disadvantage with my stats? My EC's are pretty good and i will have all my letters of recommendation in way beforehand as well as sending out my secondaries as soon as i get them. Now if I don't tell aacomas that I'm planning on retaking it should I take the chance of schools looking at my application with just my 25 mcat?

I had lower stats than you (considerably lower GPA, higher MCAT) I applied late November-January and was accepted. I had significant clinical experience, above average volunteer hours, and strong letters.

Point is, if you're strong enough of an applicant you'll be fine.

I had lower stats than you (considerably lower GPA, higher MCAT) I applied late November-January and was accepted. I had significant clinical experience, above average volunteer hours, and strong letters.

Point is, if you're strong enough of an applicant you'll be fine.

Alright thanks, but I'm just wondering if im going to put myself at a greater disadvantage if I do indicate on my app that im taking it on july 28 as opposed to if I don't and take the chance?

Alright thanks, but I'm just wondering if im going to put myself at a greater disadvantage if I do indicate on my app that im taking it on july 28 as opposed to if I don't and take the chance?

If you indicate that you're retaking, schools will place you on hold till your new score comes in. This speeds up the verification process and could get you an invite a few weeks earlier than you would if you waited to apply till your scores were in.

If you're wondering about applying with your current score and updating once a new one is in (never telling the schools you're retaking) I have no advice there as I've never heard of anyone doing it that way. I'd talk to an admissions counselor at your top few schools and see what they thunk about that strategy. They'll be straight with you.

If you're asking if you should indicate whether you are retaking the exam or not on your app, even though you plan to retake, then I would list that you are retaking the exam. Otherwise, you could get thrown into the bottom of the stack or outright rejected for your first score at some schools, though you will likely be okay at most (depending on the section breakdowns).

If you are planning the retake, just list it, even if the schools put you on hold until August, you will still be in good shape. At the end of the application season those few weeks will seem like nothing. I would just do what Wolverine advised though and get those secondaries in ASAP when you get them.

OP, don't sweat it too much either. You have some good volunteer experience which is bound to have had some one-on-one doctor time. Just get the shadowing when you can, the letter (I'm guessing you know this doc already), and submit everything. August still leaves you plenty of the application season, so you should be fine.

The earlier you apply the better but I honestly didn't send my secondaries until November/Dec and still interviewed at 4 schools and was accepted to all! Best of luck!

Hey guys,
I am taking my mcats on july 28th. I wanted to apply to DO schools as early as possible but I don't have any shadowing experience. I can start shadowing a DO and even a MD as soon as I am done with my mcats and will get a recommendation letter from him/them. Is it too late if I apply to DO schools by mid to end of august?

While you are studying for MCAT I would take a little time to finish up and send out your AMCAS/AACOMAS with your transcripts/personal statement. This is because when you finish your MCAT you could just send those scores right to the schools who are holding your app. I think this would save you a ton of time.

I have a related question.

I took my MCAT in April 2011, and got a 24Q (PS 8, V 6, BS 10), and I'm not too happy. The rest of my application is ready to go and I wanted to apply as soon as possible. However, I work full time and I don't know if I can realistically retake the MCAT in the next month or so to still apply early on in the application cycle, and I don't want to apply later with stats that would have gotten me accepted had I applied early on. Should I take my time and take the MCAT when I'm ready and apply next year, or should I try to take it sooner and apply this year? I am really torn as to whether I should submit my application now or not.

I have a pretty good application otherwise (3.6 GPA, research, ECs, leadership, volunteer work), but have not yet shadowed a DO.

Any thoughts? I would really really appreciate any advice, as this has been stressing me out a lot!!