Will I be screened out anywhere due to my MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tom sdcal

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This process has made me so neurotic but I'm worried about my MCAT score bringing me down.

I'm a CA resident with 3.8 sci/cum GPA and 29Q (9-9-11). ER volunteering, clinical and lab research exposure, lots of leadership (much involving community service), shadowing, employment.

These are the schools I'm considering but will I be screened out of any of these because of my sub-30 MCAT?

Also, any schools I should consider adding?

UCLA David Geffen
USC Keck
UCSD
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UCSF
George Washington University
Georgetown University
University of Miami
Rosalind Franklin University
University of Illinois
University of Kentucky
Tulane University
Boston University
University of Maryland
Michigan State University
Wayne State University
Saint Louis University
Wake Forest University
Albany Medical College
New York Medical College
SUNY Downstate
University of Toledo
University of Cincinnati
Drexel University
Jefferson Medical College
Pennsylvania State University
Temple University
Virginia Commonwealth University
Virginia Tech Carilion
Medical College of Wisconsin
West Virginia University

Members don't see this ad.

Let's see, ~25% of the test takers score a 30 or above. Therefore, why do you think you will be screened out with a 29? Even if a school's average MCAT is 34, there are several people above and below that mark.

I see some state schools and I know that the class for Maryland is usually 80% in state vs. out of state. I know some CA residents do interview there, but their MCAT is much higher (must be more competitive for OOS). Unless you have ties to any state, just stick with private schools. Good luck!

I guess my question should have been: Can I get some help on my school list? I was going through the MSAR and didn't factor in the fact that OOS needs higher than average stats for state schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some state schools are only allowed a low percentage of students from out of state by law because the state tax payers want the doctors to have a better chance of serving them since they pick up about half of the expense of medical school.

MCAt scores are important but do not define who will accept you into their schools. Some schools consider MCAT of very important factor and some do not.

Apply to the schools that you will fit in and go interview.

This process has made me so neurotic but I'm worried about my MCAT score bringing me down.

I'm a CA resident with 3.8 sci/cum GPA and 29Q (9-9-11). ER volunteering, clinical and lab research exposure, lots of leadership (much involving community service), shadowing, employment.

These are the schools I'm considering but will I be screened out of any of these because of my sub-30 MCAT?

Also, any schools I should consider adding?

UCLA David Geffen
USC Keck
UCSD
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UCSF
George Washington University
Georgetown University
University of Miami
Rosalind Franklin University
University of Illinois
University of Kentucky
Tulane University
Boston University
University of Maryland
Michigan State University
Wayne State University

Saint Louis University
Wake Forest University
Albany Medical College
New York Medical College
SUNY Downstate
University of Toledo
University of Cincinnati
Drexel University
Jefferson Medical College
Pennsylvania State University
Temple University
Virginia Commonwealth University
Virginia Tech Carilion
Medical College of Wisconsin
West Virginia University

I would remove the above schools if I were in your situation. OOSers applying to OOS state schools typically require an above average GPA (which you have) and MCAT (which you don't have).

I think these are schools you have a decent chance at. I've added the %OOS matriculating at each school.

UIllinois (27%), Wayne (17%), Buffalo (29%), Toledo (34%), Drexel (71%), Temple (52%), Vermont (72%), VCU (44%), Virginia Tech Carilion (new),
GWU (96%), FIU (21%), Louisville (25%), Tulane (83%), MUSC (22%), SCarolina (18%), EVMS (39%),
Rush (19%), Michigan State (26%), Oakland (new), Commonweath MC (PA) (29%).

You didn't go into much detail on your ECs, but if your leadership and community service are as strong as suggested, your MCAT of 29 will not bar you from consideration.

OOS with less than 30 MCAT are screened out from West Virginia.

In case this applies to anyone reading this thread, V. Tech Car. is NOT a state school.

My MSAR listing says VTech Carilion is a public med school which is a public-private partnership between VTech and Carilion Clinic. Did something change?

I remember hearing from the school that VTC does not offer preference to VA residents, although the lion's share of applicants certainly comes from in-state. At my interview day, we had students from everywhere.