Will I even match or should I quit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

math123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys I am a second year medical student. Throughout first and second year I have failed 5 classes( I remediated all of them so they show up as passs/fail). I am taking a one year loa to study for step 1 because my scores are really bad (they are in the 120s) because I just did not learn that much and did not retain that much. I am also going to do some, but little research. I am a med student at a us md. With all these red flags, if I barely pas both step 1 and step 2 and pass all clerkships will I be able to match somewhere for family med or internal med. I am trying to do more than pass but I just want to predict what would happen in worst case scenario. I have also been dealing with anxiety issues which I will try to manage during loa. Hopefully program directors in family need or internal led could respond or senior medical students and residents.

Members don't see this ad.

How did you get into MD school in the first place? Has something changed that is interfering with your ability to perform?

Reactions: 1 user
How did you get into MD school in the first place? Has something changed that is interfering with your ability to perform?
I was a good student in college ( had 3.9 gpa and 34 mcat) but I lost a lot of motivation to study during the first 2 years and did not study as much as I should have that is why I need loa to study all the stuff I should have studied. But recently my motivation has increased and so has my study habits. So given what I have provided above do you think I can match family med if I at the minimum pass all the boards and clerkships

Members don't see this ad :)
In a vacuum, yes. But historically, people that have struggled to your extent may not be able to just "flip the switch" and turn it around. If you're open to sharing some of the reasons why you have fallen behind, we may be able to address those and help you moving forward.

You need to get your health taken care of before you worry about matching. Failing that many courses and scoring in the 120's on practice exams for someone who performed well in undergrad is indicative of significant personal issues, which you allude to regarding anxiety. If you're able to get things sorted and turned around you could match somewhere, but if those things don't get truly dealt with now while you have the time I don't think you'd even finish third year.

Reactions: 5 users
You need to get your health taken care of before you worry about matching. Failing that many courses and scoring in the 120's on practice exams for someone who performed well in undergrad is indicative of significant personal issues, which you allude to regarding anxiety. If you're able to get things sorted and turned around you could match somewhere, but if those things don't get truly dealt with now while you have the time I don't think you'd even finish third year.
This. Something is very broken, OP, and if you don't fix it, you will not be a doctor. Make good use of that LOA, and good luck!

hey guys I am a second year medical student. Throughout first and second year I have failed 5 classes( I remediated all of them so they show up as passs/fail). I am taking a one year loa to study for step 1 because my scores are really bad (they are in the 120s) because I just did not learn that much and did not retain that much. I am also going to do some, but little research. I am a med student at a us md. With all these red flags, if I barely pas both step 1 and step 2 and pass all clerkships will I be able to match somewhere for family med or internal med. I am trying to do more than pass but I just want to predict what would happen in worst case scenario. I have also been dealing with anxiety issues which I will try to manage during loa. Hopefully program directors in family need or internal led could respond or senior medical students and residents.

Do you care where you end up in the U.S.?

If you're indifferent to the plains of Wyoming vs the swamps of Mississippi then I'd take the advice of other posters here to figure out what's going on first before moving forward and as a U.S. MD you will find a residency on the United States soil somewhere.

If you're coastal city or bust, honestly stop now while you're not in as much debt and figure out your career interests because competition for location is only getting harder.

Hang in there OP, I ask myself that same question every day when I wake up

Reactions: 1 users
Hang in there OP, I ask myself that same question every day when I wake up

Don't be too tough on yourself. There is at least 40% of medical students who are in worse positions than yourself.

Well, I'll let you know in March 2018, granted I have not failed any classes so far and my step1 score is below average. The match is getting ULTRA competitive by the year.

On a serious note, I think you should resolve your psychological issue(s) first, then worry about step1 and the match. GL!