Medical Will I ever be able to apply to med school with my GPA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 11, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
  1. Non-Student
Hi all-

I graduated from undergrad a couple years ago with a degree in statistics and a very, very low GPA. cGPA- 2.6, sGPA-2.4. There were no extenuating circumstances here, just bad time management skills and some undiagnosed focus issues. I was pre-med for the first couple years of undergrad, so a lot of my lowest grades were in the pre-reqs.

After graduation I got a job at a big financial institution as a data analyst. After feeling so discouraged in undergrad, I figured that med school was out of the question.

However, my passion for healthcare never really died out, and I found myself thinking back on my experiences as an EMT and doing clinical work in undergrad and wondering if being a doctor was truly out of the question. More importantly, the past couple years out of school have been been a time of huge personal growth, and I've successfully overcome the issues with focus and time management that plagued me in high school and undergrad.

So, after reading @Goro's reinvention guide last year, I began re-taking the pre-reqs that I did so badly in in undergrad at a local university. Just one or two at a time, since I work ~50 hrs/week. So far, I've gotten A's in everything so I'm cautiously taking this as a green light to keep taking classes.

By my estimation, if all continues to go well, I can reasonably complete 30-35 credits in two years. By reading around SDN and Goro's guide, this seems to be the suggested number of post-bac credits. At this point, my cGPA and sGPA will both be around 2.8. I would feel much more comfortable applying with both GPAs above a 3.0, but since I have so many credits already getting my GPA to that level would take several additional years. Also, I'm not in a place financially to quit my job to do a full-time post-bac or SMP, so I'll need to stick to the DIY post-bac route.

I'm know I'm jumping the gun a little bit here since I don't even have an MCAT score yet, but I just want to know if it will ever be worth applying to med school with my GPA? A 2.8 is quite low, and I'm afraid that it won't be enough to get past most school's auto-cutoffs. Looking for some advice, encouragement, or (kindly-worded) discouragement!
Do an SMP

Jun 11, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
  1. Non-Student
Thanks! Will doing well in an SMP be enough to get my app looked at, considering my undergrad GPA will be pretty much untouched?
It's no longer about the cGPA, but proving that the you of now is not the you of then

Status
Not open for further replies.