Will I ever be able to leave Texas?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Evisju7

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been in Texas for almost my entire life. The south is not my favorite place. Fortunately, my city is very diverse and has a lot of opportunities for people interested in medicine.

But, that's the problem. It would make sense for me to go to school (med) in my city, and probably do residency there too if I can. It's cheapest and offers the best opportunity for me. Maybe I'm wrong, but I believe that's true. (TMC in Houston)

My goal in life has been to go to a particular European country, but that would come between me and my medical career goal, so I'm choosing to pursue the latter. Minus that option, I know that I really love the snow, mountains, and hiking. I would like to live in Denver, Seattle, or Boston/ New England generally.

Basically, my question is: Is it possible and reasonable for me to pursue out of state paths? Again, I live in Houston. Could I possibly match the affordability and opportunity provided here?

Members don't see this ad.

I asked gyngyn and he said that you have to be very strong to get acceptance offers from out of state b/c med schools have to give Texas residents money to compete against Texas's low tuition. You don't have to do residency in Texas if you go to a Texas med school.

I think if you're very strong or unique, you can get into an out of school med school. The only people I knew who were Texas residents and went to an out of state med school did so because they got into a top 5 med school. I'm sure there are plenty of people who also got into low-tier or mid-tier med schools out of state, but I never really asked.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I have been in Texas for almost my entire life. The south is not my favorite place. Fortunately, my city is very diverse and has a lot of opportunities for people interested in medicine.

But, that's the problem. It would make sense for me to go to school (med) in my city, and probably do residency there too if I can. It's cheapest and offers the best opportunity for me. Maybe I'm wrong, but I believe that's true. (TMC in Houston)

My goal in life has been to go to a particular European country, but that would come between me and my medical career goal, so I'm choosing to pursue the latter. Minus that option, I know that I really love the snow, mountains, and hiking. I would like to live in Denver, Seattle, or Boston/ New England generally.

Basically, my question is: Is it possible and reasonable for me to pursue out of state paths? Again, I live in Houston. Could I possibly match the affordability and opportunity provided here?
I don't know how Europe has anything to do with the situation. There are these things called vacations which people take all the time to visit parts of Europe. Your medical school will not stop you from living in Denver, Seattle, or Boston/New England.

Can you pursue medical schools outside of your state? Of course you can.

Reactions: 3 users
That grass, it's so green over there...
He's the first person from Texas that actually doesn't like living, breathing, and eventually dying in Texas. That's a first.

Reactions: 8 users
He's the first person from Texas that actually doesn't like living, breathing, and eventually dying in Texas. That's a first.

Idk man, I love Texas but I'll take Boston and Seattle any day.

To OP: You can definitely do your residency - if you dont want to pay more for med school, like everyone else - outside of Texas. There are great programs outside of Houston. Im not very familiar with residency programs but damn my statement has to be true or else our medical education system would be very sad.

Most of the medical schools in Texas I've been to have mentioned that a significant portion of their class goes for residency out of state. Yes, it's possible

Reactions: 1 users
I'm Texan, and I totally understand her feels. I never wanted to return, but the older I get, the more attractive the idea of going back becomes. But deep down, I know I'm just suffering from the same grass is greener mentality that made me never want to go back in the first place, and that the only thing I really want is change.

My goal in life has been to go to a particular European country, but that would come between me and my medical career goal, so I'm choosing to pursue the latter.

Which country?

Can you do some sort of exchange fellowship type thing there? I know many people who have went abroad after their second year of medical school and done projects in foreign countries for a few months; these are not just developing countries, but also to do research projects at specific places in Europe and Japan. I also know people who have done different foreign fellowship things after residency, and certainly if you become a famous attending, you can travel to other countries for various lengths of time. Most countries seem to have some sort of thing where foreign, licensed doctors can get approval to work in that country for a short time doing teaching and special projects. At least then you start to experience different countries in short stints and see if there is a particular place that you really like. It often helps to travel abroad for a reason with local contacts and a job to do there, as you get more integrated into the country rather than just as a tourist.

However, as noted, you will certainly be open to do residency anywhere. In the context of your life, 4 years is a quick time period, and there are many financial incentives for staying in Texas.

Which country?

Can you do some sort of exchange fellowship type thing there? I know many people who have went abroad after their second year of medical school and done projects in foreign countries for a few months; these are not just developing countries, but also to do research projects at specific places in Europe and Japan. I also know people who have done different foreign fellowship things after residency, and certainly if you become a famous attending, you can travel to other countries for various lengths of time. Most countries seem to have some sort of thing where foreign, licensed doctors can get approval to work in that country for a short time doing teaching and special projects. At least then you start to experience different countries in short stints and see if there is a particular place that you really like. It often helps to travel abroad for a reason with local contacts and a job to do there, as you get more integrated into the country rather than just as a tourist.

However, as noted, you will certainly be open to do residency anywhere. In the context of your life, 4 years is a quick time period, and there are many financial incentives for staying in Texas.
That's actually a really good question. Many European countries would allow you to apply your degree there for various things, from teaching to systems development to a freakin' job as a doctor there.

there are many financial incentives for staying in Texas.

I should have added: "for medical school"

But you can definitely see if you can leave for any special projects or things. There are highly competitive grants like Rhodes Scholarships and Marshall Scholarships, but there are often more obscure or school specific opportunities. Some medical schools have particular sister programs in other countries or some sort of established rotation program.

If you work in a research group, they may even send you to work with a collaborator for a while. That's how I know people who have gone to work for short periods in Denmark, Netherlands, Japan, and France.

Which country?

Sweden.

I've heard it's very difficult to get into their medical education system from outside the EU because of limited spots. It usually goes to Swedes.
Though, they do accept U.S. medical doctors.. and I speak Swedish ;) but I have some years before I start worrying with this.

Isn't it true that most residents are in their own state?
Especially considering what's offered where I live. Stupid Houston. It sucks you in

Isn't it true that most residents are in their own state?
Especially considering what's offered where I live. Stupid Houston. It sucks you in

It does, doesn't it!? But all for really good reasons.
So live here (it's cheap) and spend your extra money travelling.

Reactions: 2 users
How about we switch places? I would love the low IS tuition and strong IS preference.

Jokes aside, it seems like you just want to travel. I might be misreading your post, but why not travel during a gap year and stay in TX for school?

Other than the weather and the politics, it's a great place to live... :cool: