Will I ever get into Med school or should I give up?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lis19

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been going to University for about two years and due to having to work 2 full time jobs, I've lost track of my priorities and have gotten a 1.4 gpa. I am moving next month out of state and "starting over" at a community college. Do I have any chance whatsoever to getting in to a medical school (even DO or a Caribbean school)?

Please don't be mean, I know the mistakes I've made.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you American? We go to college, not university.

I'm not good at math, but if your future coursework could somehow balance out the 1.4 and end up >3.6 or so, your chances are good. This would be easier with DO grade replacement. Seems like you better choose between working or going to school because doing both is not yielding good results.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you American? We go to college, not university.

I'm not good at math, but if your future coursework could somehow balance out the 1.4 and end up >3.6 or so, your chances are good. This would be easier with DO grade replacement. Seems like you better choose between working or going to school because doing both is not yielding good results.

This can't happen, especially with a 1.4 over two years.

Well if you go to community college first...get 4.0...transfer to a decent 4 year. Get a 4.0 there and get a 30+ on your MCAT then I would never rule out that you couldn't get into medical school whether MD, DO, or Caribbean.

Maybe someone can clarify, does AMCAS require to list all higher level institutions when filling out your primary? For some reason I feel like you could almost make it seem like you never went to that university and just started at a community college.

Can someone clarify?

Well if you go to community college first...get 4.0...transfer to a decent 4 year. Get a 4.0 there and get a 30+ on your MCAT then I would never rule out that you couldn't get into medical school whether MD, DO, or Caribbean.

Maybe someone can clarify, does AMCAS require to list all higher level institutions when filling out your primary? For some reason I feel like you could almost make it seem like you never went to that university and just started at a community college.

Can someone clarify?

Yep, you have to report every college class you've taken.

Can someone clarify?

If you lie about something like that, then they will find out though a background check and have the right to rescind an acceptance or kick you out if you somehow manage to matriculate.

Never go to the Caribbean. I suggest OP goes DO since MD will not look kindly on 2 years ending in a 1.4 GPA, no matter how much grade recovery is done.

Don't give up until YOU think you cannot continue working at it.

That's weird, because I'm American and I'm attending a University.

They probably posed that question because OP said they're attending University rather than a University. This usually implies, as I've seen myself, that they might be attending a university outside of the US. I see it referred to the same way by Canadians all the time.

edit: after rereading the second poster's comment, it was kind of rude how he phrased that :shrug:

Hey there, OP!

For ease of calculation, I'm going to assume that you've been taking an average of 15 credit hours a semester. If that number's different, then it'll change how this pans out. ^^

So, after 60 credits of classes, you have a 1.4. Most universities have around 120 credits to leave with a degree, so I'll be using that to help estimate where you could go.

Assuming that you get a 4.0 for 60 more credits and you don't utilize grade replacement, your GPA would come out to an estimated 2.7.

If you want to apply on time, your best shot of doing so would be grade replacement, which is only applicable for DO. Since I don't know your classes exactly, I can't really help you approximate how major of a change you could do. If you have F's, though, it could be some serious growth.

Either way, you need to kill the MCAT. If you only want to go for MD, you would need to do some serious informal post-bacc work. An SMP would probably not take you with a 2.7. Not trying to be mean.

The dream's only dead when you kill it. It's not going to be easy, but nothing worth having is ever easy to get. If you get your act together, then I think you could do DO with little issue. ^^

Reactions: 1 user
I think if you start over you might be alright. Of course the 1.4 won't look good but if you can do really well and basically send a message of "ok, mulligan....this is the real me"

You need to do really well if you start over like this. Maybe that will be enough. Maybe you are looking at post-bacc, SMP, or regular master's or something else to give you an extra boost in the eyes of the ADCOM. It's not like it's over, but it's time to be serious and make it happen.

thanks everyone for their encouragement.

Since DO schools allow you to retake classes, do they have to be retaken at the same university? Or can I retake them at a different one?

Thanks again.

thanks everyone for their encouragement.

Since DO schools allow you to retake classes, do they have to be retaken at the same university? Or can I retake them at a different one?

Thanks again.

Retake em wherever you like, preferably a 4-year college.

What is grade replacement?

Just as it sounds. If you do poorly in one of your undergraduate classes and you decide to retake it and you improve upon your grade, the medical school will only factor in your improved grade (I'm not really sure what would occur if you were to retake the class and do even worse but I'd assume they would just take the better of the two grades). This is ONLY offered at Osteopathic Medical schools (DO) NOT Allopathic (MD).

Take some time off OP. Then start school over again. Retake the stuff you screwed up, ace it, and move on to higher coursework. You have a shot at DO schools if you utilize grade replacement, shape up, and get your priorities straight.