Will I get in Optometry school with low GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tina Nguyen

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! My first post here, and I need some guidance.. I am going to give you cliff notes of my story:

Major: Cell and Molecular Biology
Overall GPA: 2.3 (I know, it's low - read on)
Expecting GPA when graduating: 2.4
Science GPA: 3.1 (perquisite science GPA)
OAT: tbd
Graduation: May 2014

Reason for my GPA is because I worked ALOT when I graduated from high school and was going towards my business degree. I am seriously 2 classes shy from getting my AA degree in Business. I started working at my mom's salon when I was 16 and earned my Cosmotology license at 18. I helped my mom at the salon, worked at the bank, and went to school full time during the first 2 years out of high school to help my family out from financial debt. My grades went down heal from there.

The reason why I changed to Optometry? I worked at the bank for 2 years and was completely unhappy with the service and quota I had to meet forcing accounts on customers. So I began to search different options, where I eventually volunteered at a dental, optometry, and physicians office. When I was at the optometry office I honestly fell in love with the office environment, the different people you meet everyday, the ability to help patients based on what they needed. I realized at the moment I wanted to help people, help them see better and at the same time enjoy the business aspect of it. (I grew up in a business oriented family, this was a beneficial skill) At this time my GPA is low, as hard as I try to improve my GPA over the years it becomes harder because my credit increases...

...Fast forward. I am currently working part-time at an Optometry office for 2 1/2 years now and LOVE IT. I also still work at my mom's salon.

Anyways, after I graduate this Spring I will be applying, retaking classes, volunteering more at different areas of optometry, and studying for the OAT.

Obviously the story I gave you was cliff notes, a lot of other areas did shape my passion to become and Optometrist.

Do you think I still have a chance to get an interview? I believe my passion is something I can portray better in person then what my transcripts says about me...

Any feedback is good. =) Good or bad.

Thanks for reading!

Members don't see this ad.

If you can score really well on your OAT, then I would say you have a chance. Your science GPA is not that bad at 3.1 (but certainly can be better).
Your 2.3 GPA reflects on your business classes correct? If you show that you can do well in the sciences, then you should be fine.
However, with that being said, a 2.3 GPA is still pretty low - sort of unacceptable to be honest.

In a nutshell, aim to score really high on your OAT to get their attention, then you have a chance. You may not get into the school you want, but if Optometry is something you really want to do, some of the newer schools may be your only option.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
You should call the schools you are interested in applying to and ask them the best course of action based on your situation. Yours is not a case where I would rely on advice from anonymous internet strangers.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It's possible! If this the field you want to be in than you juse have to work hard to show the schools how bad you want this. Work hard for the OAT and do well. All you need is one school to see your passions and drive. I'm in a similar situation. Feel free to message me if you want to know my stats.

Reactions: 1 users
However, "how bad you want it" is typically something that gets noticed in your interview. You can't get an interview if you don't make the cut on paper first. Spend lots of time on your personal statement, but realize that grades matter. The better your OAT score, the greater your chances. They will also take into consideration where you did your undergrad, if you worked while taking classes etc. Your GPA doesn't have to be amazing if everything else is in order. Remember that the average score admitted into a school means that half of those matriculated were below that number.

Remember that the average score admitted into a school means that half of those matriculated were below that number.

Not necessarily. A large majority could have been right at that average with a few above and a few below.

Not necessarily. A large majority could have been right at that average with a few above and a few below.

Or every single matriculated applicant could have had exactly the same GPA, in which case nobody would lie below the average. However, since the OP was asking a legitimate question, pertaining to real life, I decided to give a real life answer.

It is more likely that the real data would follow a bell curve, with most scores being "around", that is above and below the average by a couple tenths of a GPA point, with some outliers. In other words, about half would fall below the average.

Remember that the applications for all the schools have an area where you can explain low grades. They will most likely talk during the interview about it too. I don't think it'll kill you to have a low GPA if everything else is in order, but it's going to be a major factor in general, so make sure you know your talking points for 1) why you have a low GPA, and 2) how you are going to move forward and succeed in optometry school.

Optometry school isn't a walk in the park. It's a tough curriculum, and the admissions committees are wanting to make sure all their candidates are well prepared. Remember that however much you want to explain that your grades slipped because you were working, there's probably some other applicant who also had to work a lot outside of school but still kept up their GPA. Unfortunately the admissions process is about comparing people and not about picking everyone based on how great they seem.

Apply as early as possible. Practice, practice, practice your interview. And don't assume anything, apply to lots of schools!

hello! I'm in a similar situation as you. Im a Chemistry Major with a low GPA. Did you get accepted into
Optometry school? What schools do you recommend for low GPAS?