1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Will I get in????--Praying in Seattle

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by ppsaul, Feb 5, 2001.

1. ppsaul

ppsaul Junior Member

Hello everyone, I just found out about this post, and have been reading the messages written for the last month. Thanks to Sterichind, DrNo72, turtleboard, and many others. Your posts have been very informative.

I had a question for someone. I want to know if someone can tell me if I have a chance of getting in.

I graduated from the U of Washington last June (5yr) with a B.S. in Molecular Cell Biology. I have a 3.1 GPA overall, but a 2.9-3.0 Sci GPA.
    I scored pretty well on the DAT's.
    Bio-22, Gchem-21, Ochem-19, Math-21, Reading-22, PAT-19, and Sci-20, Academic-21
    I have a lot of Dental experience. I have worked at a clinic every Saturday for the last 3 years. I have over 700 hours of experience. I have experience running a small business.
    I have received excellent recommendations, including 3 from dentists I worked with.

I have all this, but I am scared of my GPA.

In October, I applied to 8 schools, (UOP, USC, UWash, Mich, Tufts, Boston, NYU, and Creighton).

I got rejected by U Mich the first week of January, and so I got scared, and later in January I applied to Nova, Temple, and Detroit Mercy.

Then last week good news; I got an interview from Boston for April 9 (Isn't that a little late? I'll take it [​IMG]

I have not had contact with any of the schools, and have not been able to visit any of the schools because I had ACL surgery last month.

Could someone please let me know if I got a chance?? I would really appreciate it.

Also any suggestions for improving my candidacy would also be appreciated.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. gower

gower 1K Member

Take the BU interview and run with it.
    See my response to a question about an interview at Buffalo. Same advice applies to BU, or any dental school interview for that matter. Especially if you may not have another choice, you must make the best of what you have.

BU is expensive, but so are all private schools. Boston is a nice town with many top flight universities, lots of young people, considerable opportunities for a good social life, fine restaurants, theater, a cultured city with many colonial lanndmarks. It is neither too large nor too small. The education you will get at BU is perfectly good. The quality of dentist you will become depends upon your skills, not the "reputation" of the dental school.

Have an upbeat outlook.

4. I'm not trying to discourage you, but if you are going to the interview on April 9th, then you will most likely be interviewing for a spot on the alternate list. I went to interviews last year in late March and was told before the tour/interview that the classes were already full at Temple and BU and that all interviewees where vying for spots on the alternate list.

The best thing to do now is try and call BU reschedule your interview for an earlier date...the earlier, the better. I know for a fact some applicants who were invited for an interview may turn the interview down because they were already accepted to their #1 choice and this will definitely open up spaces for other applicants. Just call the adm. office and ask them if there are any interview dates that some candidates may have cancelled. If the adm. people say they have spots available earlier, you should take it. If there are no spaces available, then just ask if it is possible to come in for an interview earlier because you happen to be in the Boston or New England area and would like to save on travel expenses. The adm. office people are understanding and may possibly give you an earlier date. If you do get an early interview and you'll be near Tufts and NYU, phone up the schools as well to see if they've reviewed your application and if it is complete, or write a good "suck up letter" and tell them you're interested in touring/interviewing at their school since you'll be in that area interviewing at other schools and would like to save on travel expenses.

Last year, the class at BU was filled by the beginning of March, but one of the interviewees I keep in contact with was plucked off the alternate list 2 weeks before classes started. So even if you're on the alternate list, you have to be on the top of the pecking order to get in (like top 10 or so depending on the number who turn them down each year).

Your DAT scores are excellent and don't worry too much about your GPA, it's not a great GPA, but it also IS NOT a bad GPA...you got an interview right?

Well good luck with everything.

5. groundhog

groundhog 1K Member

Your DAT scores ARE excellent. Given your GPA and date of application, I think you got whammied by the timing game more than anything else. I agree with gower, take BU or any other school this year if the opportunity arrives.
    However, if things don't work out, get a jump start on the application process for 2002. You are ahead of the game at this point. You do not need to retake the DAT (a big plus). Enroll in a few extra classes at UW. Your major might aid you in getting involved in a research project down at the dental school or medical school. Maybe you can increase your hours of work as a dental assisant. Get started early, improve your credentials, and stay focused.

6. ppsaul

ppsaul Junior Member

Hello, thank you Gower, Dds2b, and Groundhog for replying to my questions. They really helped a lot!!
    Also, I read gower's reply for the Boston interview, and it was very informative and helpful. Thanks

I will call Boston tomorrow to get an earlier date. Right now I just want to get in.
    I prefer to remain on the West Coast, but I guess beggers can't be choosers.

I'm really nervous about BU interview..

A question to about contacting NYU and Tufts. Can I ask them if they have reviewed my application, or will this make me sound like a pest?

Onceagain thanks for answering my questions.

wish me luck [​IMG]

-Punit-

7. Sterichind

Sterichind Member

Hello ppsaul,

I want to help as much as I can. I believe the other posts above excellent. Take the interview. Prepare well but not too overly enthusiatic that you beg in the interview. You know your situation with the DAT scores and GPA so I will not repeat, but I think now all you can do is wait and see. You may call once to try getting an earlier interview but don't bother the secretarys too much. Relax in the interview and know your dentistry. REad the Surgeon General's Report on Oral Health. It's Great. If you do not get in, raise your GPA with classes that are not so difficult and are science based. Do not worry about the issue of them thinking you did not take a tough enough course schedule. They do not have enormous amounts of time to review these transcripts in detail. They glance GPAs. Get some research and good luck.

Sterichind

8. ppsaul

ppsaul Junior Member

Hey, Boston changed my date from April 9 to March 9. [​IMG]

If anyone else is in the same situation as me, it wasn't too hard.

I called them up, and asked if I could change my interview date, they said, what date would you like? I asked for something late Feb or early March.

Thanks dds2b

-Punit-

9. ppsaul

ppsaul Junior Member

I got accepted at BU.

Thanks for everything: Sterichind, groundhog, gower, dds2b

10. Everyone was rooting for you.

Congratulations!

11. Dante60

Dante60 Member
    Physician

Dentist
    Congrats!!

12. DrDMD05

DrDMD05 Senior Member

Congrats, BU is a great school.
    DrDMD05 TUSDM05

13. Sterichind

Sterichind Member

Dear ppsaul,

Congrats!!! I'm truly happy to ses you have succeeded. Hopefully, we'll meet at a dental conference someday.

Sterichind
    Stony Brook - School of Dental Medicine 2005

14. ppsaul

ppsaul Junior Member

Thank you all for all your kind words: SDN-Jim, Dante60, DrDMD05, Sterichind.

I am so relieved to have that weight off my back, now I can relax until the start of school. [​IMG]

Hopefully I will meet most of you during my years as a dentist, but if not, then:

Live long and prosper.

-Punit-

15. Congrats ppsaul!

Now it's time to send in that $3000 deposit. [​IMG]

Boston is a great city and good luck on your studies.

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. ppsaul

ppsaul Junior Member

Sorry the post was stuck at 13 and we all know about "13" [​IMG]

-Punit-