Will I get in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ajdoc

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Kentucky resident.
3.92GPA ~3.85sGPA
Taking MCAT practice tests, averaging 34.
Research for 2 years of undergrad, also taking a year off to pursue research.
A few awards at school, ACS Chemistry award, Alpha Chi induction, to name two.
Shadowed two doctors for a total of maybe 60-70 hours.

My worry is that my ECs not good enough. I worked full-time through most of college in order to pay for it, so I guess that's my excuse. But will that hold up? My other worry is that I go to a very small private college that nobody has ever heard of. Will the bigger schools even look at my app?

I'm going to apply to University of Kentucky, University of Louisville, Vanderbilt, and Case Western among others.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

You numbers look to be very good, and your MCAT score proves that your school prepared you well despite being small.

I agree with you that your ECs are sparse. The fact that your worked full-time through college will be considered, but I'm concerned if you have no clinical experience where you actively engaged sick people (shadowing is a passive observership where you focus on the doctor) and no community service. The research looks great though and the shadowing is all I'd want to see. What about teaching, leadership, and hobbies? Have you met with a pre-health advisor at your school to get an impression of your chances at your state schools?