Will I get into Medical School? What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AllahAllah

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,

I am just transferring to a state university (best in that state) from a community college with a junior standing. My first year at the community college I had a perfect GPA. Starting sophomore year my GPA went downhill and I withdrew from a first semester bio class, first semester of chem, second semester of chemistry. Ended up getting a B my second time in all of those classes that I withdrew from. So, keep that in mind. I'm planning to keep a perfect GPA for my junior year at the current university. And I sure can!

So, my question is what are my chance assuming the following stats by the end of summer 2008:

30 on the MCAT
3.6 Science GPA
3.7 Overall

Volunteering in the ICU for 4 hrs a week
Working with patients and their families by counseling them for 4 hours a week
Drive patients to their appointments
Work a 30hr a week job
No research experience

And plz keep in mind that I attended 2 yrs in a community college and will be attending my next two years at this university and as you know only junior year grades (one year) will be seen from the state university.

So, what do you all suggest??? Plzz help and I want to apply this coming summer of 2008. Thanks!

I would say your chances are good...but don't assume you'll get a 30+ MCAT...that takes some work. What do you do in the ICU, btw? That sounds like one of your most interesting experiences, and you'll likely be asked about it at interviews.

BTW, you might not want to create 2 identical threads with different titles, kind of a "netiquette" violation....

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought all grades are "seen" no matter what. I think you are too sure of your MCAT score of 30. Have you taken a practice test. Also, be prepared for more bumps in the road at your current university. Chemistry is not the most difficult you will take possibly. Physics and organic chemistry are also tough. I think you are a bit too optimistic which could come back to hurt you. You will need much prep in those areas I have mentioned. A community college course is sometimes easier than that at a university. It's your peer competition that can be much different.

Given that and the numbers you are projecting you will get in somewhere. They are not stellar but are acceptable. Just attaining them will be your challenge. Good luck.

did you need to start 2 threads for this? Ask this question in a year when you're getting ready to apply not now when you haven't even finished prereqs or the mcat.

It's really hard to say anything about how competitive you are at this point. You can't assume anything on the MCAT, but I'll humor your 30 score that you have theorized. Your GPA is definitely great, but in all honesty going to a community college will make your GPA not as impressive compared to others. Your work at whatever university you are going to will speak much more to your academic abilities to hack med school courses. Your volunteering is good, but I suggest doing significantly more to really distinguish yourself. Research you can do if you want, and will help you if you do something significant (i.e. more than cleaning dishes in the lab) it will definitely help you. I say more volunteering and maybe research because as an ADCOM member I would not be convinced by your grades at a community college. I am not saying anything about you personally regarding your ability to do the work, but when you are compared to someone who has done 4 years at a more difficult college with a similar application, most admissions faculty would take the other guy. I know it seems unfair. But that's part of the game of med school application. I wish you the best.

So, my question is what are my chance assuming the following stats by the end of summer 2008:

30 on the MCAT
3.6 Science GPA
3.7 Overall

Better than if you have a 29 MCAT, 3.5 science GPA and 3.6 overall, but worse than if you have a 31 MCAT, 3.7 science GPA and 3.8 overall.

Work hard, do your best, and come back when you've earned some real numbers.

I would say your chances are good...but don't assume you'll get a 30+ MCAT...that takes some work. What do you do in the ICU, btw? That sounds like one of your most interesting experiences, and you'll likely be asked about it at interviews.

BTW, you might not want to create 2 identical threads with different titles, kind of a "netiquette" violation....

HAHA.....my first time...so ya I think I just violated one of the rules. However, in the ICU, I basically shadow a nurse and ask her a lot of questions. I change bed sheets and help the nurse when assisting a patient. However, I did learn few things about abscess , use of blood vessel dialators and what they do and small silly stuff like that. What kind of volunteering do you suggest?

It's really hard to say anything about how competitive you are at this point. You can't assume anything on the MCAT, but I'll humor your 30 score that you have theorized. Your GPA is definitely great, but in all honesty going to a community college will make your GPA not as impressive compared to others. Your work at whatever university you are going to will speak much more to your academic abilities to hack med school courses. Your volunteering is good, but I suggest doing significantly more to really distinguish yourself. Research you can do if you want, and will help you if you do something significant (i.e. more than cleaning dishes in the lab) it will definitely help you. I say more volunteering and maybe research because as an ADCOM member I would not be convinced by your grades at a community college. I am not saying anything about you personally regarding your ability to do the work, but when you are compared to someone who has done 4 years at a more difficult college with a similar application, most admissions faculty would take the other guy. I know it seems unfair. But that's part of the game of med school application. I wish you the best.

Thanks a bunch sir but I was wondering about the withdrawals! How will that affect my chances of getting into med school?

Thanks a bunch sir but I was wondering about the withdrawals! How will that affect my chances of getting into med school?

Who cares? Unless you have a time machine, what can worrying about withdrawals accomplish? And if you do have a time machine, could you place a condom in the dresser of my dorm room on April 3rd, 2005. Thanks.

Suggestion: Focus on getting a good mcat score, which for some is easier said then done (e.g. many think they're going to score 30+ on test day, and then only about 20 percent do). Then worry about that other stuff and your chances later. :thumbup: