Will I have any shot with this science GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cofo

Super Cool Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This fall semester I made:
A in anatomy
A in biochemistry :D
B in microbiology :( (ridiculous professor...seriously he graded so damn hard)
...so...now my science GPA is now 2.91

I'm a history major, but I'm really good in the sciences...the reason my science GPA is low is because I made 1 F in genChem my FRESHMAN year...4 years ago...I just made an A in BIOCHEMISTRY...so I know I can handle upper division science courses.
I'm taking more science courses this spring 2011 and in the summer, so my science GPA will be about 3.2
I'm taking the DAT this christmas break...If I can do well on the DAT (20+)...will I have a decent shot at getting an interview with schools like BU, Tufts, Pacific, NYU???

Members don't see this ad.

It's good that you have made recent progress, however, 1 F can't be the sole reason for a GPA that low. My advice to you would be to start taking more science classes to raise it and see how high you can get it before June. You might want to save the money and just apply in 2012 when you have raised it.

Really? Even with a 3.2 science GPA, I won't have a decent chance at getting an interview for next cycle?

Members don't see this ad :)
Really? Even with a 3.2 science GPA, I won't have a decent chance at getting an interview for next cycle?

With a 3.2 you will realistically have a shot by having a high AA/TS. We are talking 22+. Personally, I would aim for 24. 3.2 sgpa/20 dat...I don't think it will be enough. I might you might get one or two interviews, but I wouldn't be my money on it. Good luck! Ace that DAT!

P.S. At alot of schools I interviewed at, I got commented that my high TS offset my avg sgpa.

A in anatomy

I'm a history major, but I'm really good in the sciences...the reason my science GPA is low is because I made 1 F in genChem my FRESHMAN year...4 years ago...I just made an A in BIOCHEMISTRY...so I know I can handle upper division science courses.
I'm taking more science courses this spring 2011 and in the summer, so my science GPA will be about 3.2
I'm taking the DAT this christmas break...If I can do well on the DAT (20+)...will I have a decent shot at getting an interview with schools like BU, Tufts, Pacific, NYU???

Don't be too hard on yourself. Some schools are the type that look at a low gpa and turn you away and some look into detail, and see that you have improved significantly. That's what happened with me. I got a D in one of my classes (and several C's) that lowered my science gpa to a 2.7. I also got average scores on the DAT (roughtly 19's) I was thinking the same thing as you, and even though I haven't been "accepted" anywhere, I have gotten interviews that I'm currently preparing for :xf:. Keep your chin up, and don't think because of one thing that your application is entirely ruined. Just make sure you have something to back up why you got that grade and how you improved it, and also boost your community involvement. It's a biggie.

Don't listen to everyone on here...they will have you scared to death. I'm not going to lie though, you have an uphill battle on your hands. It all depends on how bad you want to become a dentist.

What I would suggest:
-Take tons of science courses and retake that GC class...get an A, that will average it out to a "C" (A + F= C)
***My science GPA is a 3.32 (total 3.46) and I've already landed three interviews, two acceptances, and one more is still yet to give me an answer; DAT scores - 19/20/17
-If you have to, take some post-bac classes to raise it if you haven't done so by graduation...take courses that prove you can survive 1st & 2nd year, i.e., Anatomy (preferably gross), Neuroscience, Biochemistry, Microbiology, Physiology, Pharmacology (if available).
-Make your application DIFFERENT. Find some very interesting story about your life showing how you've fought to overcome obstacles and prove how you never gave up on your dreams through this story. Most people have great GPA's, DAT's, EC's, etc...but you need to STAND OUT.
-Don't let this forum get you discouraged...it did that to me. Fight hard and never quit! Most on here have stellar stats and they are over-achievers, which is ok, but they tend to freak out sometimes unnecessarily. Where there is a will, there's a way...so keep your head up.

Best of Luck My Friend! Let me know if I can help!

A in anatomy

Upward trends seem to help many applicants. If you can demonstrate that, then you've got a good chance.

Who knows right? Even if I was a school admin, I wouldn't know how every school in the nation works.

However, there is a trend that high sGPA correlates well with more interviews. Keep takibg more upper level stuffs, and do ur best to get nothing less than an A... I know it isn't easy, but u need it :/

Don't be too hard on yourself, there are many other ways to have a better application that makes you more attractive. Getting into research is really good as well as dental-related extra-curriculars. You want to stand-out and prove that being a dentist is what you really want to do. Even with great grades you need to have a good resume. There are also post-bacc and masters programs specifically for students like you (but I would recommend applying first to dental school anyways).

My science GPA when I graduated college was a 2.7 . . . way lower than most people. I did my master's in medical science and after my first year I got into several of my first choice dental schools. I also worked very hard in making sure every aspect of my application was amazing and the only thing against me was my low college science GPA.

If being a dentist is what you really want then work hard from now on and make it your goal to get into dental school.

Your potential success will ride on what you do in your next few semesters. I suggest giving up your life temp in order to ensure an A in whatever science you take to 1.) get above 3.0 and 2.) have a good upward trend. That's really your only shot for next year. Plus a great DAT. Just pretend you're already in dental school. Approach your studies with that level of maturity and you'll do great & know you did everything you could have done to put together the best app you can.

If I were an admin, I would see your academic history and pretty much disregard the one F from freshman year, but I can't speak for them. I would hope that they analyze your academic history instead of just glancing at the numbers, but who knows.

If you score well on the DAT and have an application that highlights your maturity, leadership, compassion, etc., then I think you have a great chance :)

Don't just apply to schools with low incoming GPA such as Tufts, BU, etc. With your strong science background and current, good grades, I think you might a shot at a lot of schools.

Like other people said though, just make sure you keep doing well in school, and do well on the DAT. Also, if you can, do something that will make you stand out as an applicant (volunteering is great - there are so many health clinics that need your help).

Good Luck!! :)

Don't listen to everyone on here...they will have you scared to death. I'm not going to lie though, you have an uphill battle on your hands. It all depends on how bad you want to become a dentist.

What I would suggest:
-Take tons of science courses and retake that GC class...get an A, that will average it out to a "C" (A + F= C)
***My science GPA is a 3.32 (total 3.46) and I've already landed three interviews, two acceptances, and one more is still yet to give me an answer; DAT scores - 19/20/17
-If you have to, take some post-bac classes to raise it if you haven't done so by graduation...take courses that prove you can survive 1st & 2nd year, i.e., Anatomy (preferably gross), Neuroscience, Biochemistry, Microbiology, Physiology, Pharmacology (if available).
-Make your application DIFFERENT. Find some very interesting story about your life showing how you've fought to overcome obstacles and prove how you never gave up on your dreams through this story. Most people have great GPA's, DAT's, EC's, etc...but you need to STAND OUT.
-Don't let this forum get you discouraged...it did that to me. Fight hard and never quit! Most on here have stellar stats and they are over-achievers, which is ok, but they tend to freak out sometimes unnecessarily. Where there is a will, there's a way...so keep your head up.

Best of Luck My Friend! Let me know if I can help!

Since you've already retaken Gchem (you took biochem, thus must have passed GChem), you shouldn't retake it. Taking another three hour class improves your GPA to the same extent as taking the 3 hour GChem class. Also, taking a higher level class will look better, and Adcom's don't want to see you retaking lower level classes that you don't have to. They would rather see you take some harder upper division courses.

Just make all A's from here on, or the best you can, and see what your GPA ends up being. If its not good enough, then you'll need to take some post-bac courses or a masters and raise it some more. Personally, i wouldn't feel secure with anything below a 3.5, but i realize that a lot of people get in with lower. So all you can do is improve it and do what is necessary to raise it to the standards that will get you accepted (which you will discover after applying and being rejected if you need to do more or not).

APPLY!

I got mostly B's in my science courses and finally got my butt in gear during junior year and did really well in upper level courses. My science gpa isnt spectacular but I got a few acceptances under my belt :)
Im also a non-science major and I scored avg on the DAT.

I think what REALLY helped my case was my LORs. My biochem prof (I did well in his class) wrote a nice letter on my behalf and so did my research prof.

Like someone commented earlier, make sure your application stands out! Iim sure those A's in anatomy and biochem (important classes!) will help you stand out and make sure your LORs can back that up.
A dean from a state dental school told a group of predental kids (myself included) that the look to LORs to make sure there's consistency in what people say about you. If they all say good things and they're lengthy and not generic letters (and its coming from the science communtiy), the adcoms probably would be more inclined to offer you an interview, etc.

Good luck!!!

Last edited:
I'm a senior and I still have one more semester to go. After the fall semester, I'm sure that my GPA will be below 3.0 =(. I'm going to retake the DAT after I graduate and hopefully I do well on it to compensate for my terrible sGPA. This thread makes me feel better, thanks for the encouragement guys. Appreciate it alot!