Will I have problems?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Atlas

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I plan on applying to most of my state MD schools in addition to a handful of DO schools. I'm sincerely interested in osteopathic medicine and would feel blessed if given the opportunity to become one. I have about 4 or 5 DO schools on my preliminary list as well. I'm assuming schools will know where else i've applied (MD and DO). Will I have a problem getting accepted into a DO school because I applied to MD schools? I know that raises some questions about my desire to be a DO, but I'm truely interested in primary care, and treating the patient as a whole and not just their symptoms. I believe that OMM is a good and beneficial tool in treating patients to help them recover quicker and better from their ailments. I plan on shadowing a DO to gain experience in what it's really like to be an osteopathic physician. I've met a couple previously and have been very impressed with how they handle their business, so much so that I'm determined to shadow one. I just hope that my application to MD schools won't hurt my chances at the DO schools! Will my personal statement be my channel for explaining 'why DO'?

Members don't see this ad.

You won't have problems getting accepted to a DO med school because you applied to an MD school. Obviously, you have to prepare yourself to answer the question "Why did you apply to allopathic medical school?"

Yes, your personal statement plus your interview will be your channel to explain why you want to go into osteopathic medicine.

Hi Atlas:

So, you're from Southern Illinois are you? Well, so am I, near Effingham. I am starting my M1 year at Nova in Ft. Lauderdale in two days, so I just completed the application process. All I can tell you is that as long as you are sincere about becoming a DO, you won't have any problems. Go ahead and apply to the in-state MD schools. You really need to take advantage of your residency. I applied to them myself. I was asked at several DO interviews if I would chose MD or DO if I had the chance. If you can answer honestly and sincerly that you prefer DO schools, you will not be looked at badly by the DO admissions committees. For me, it came down to a choice between a DO school and the U of I. ...and I chose the DO school just like I said I would. There are only 19 DO schools in the country. The admissions committees know that you have to apply to MD schools, especially the ones that are in your state.

Don't worry, you'll be fine. E-mail me if you have any more questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree. Most adcoms know that you need to apply to a number of schools to optimize your chances for admission. I think that if you can give a good explanation of your interest in and exposure to osteopathic medicine that you will be okay. They know that virtually every applicant is also applying to MD schools. I declined several allopathic schools to go osteopathic, and I know that I'm not the only one out there that has done the same thing! Good luck!

WOW! Great posts everyone! Thanks! :D

bluejay,

You went to u of i? im going there right now...how tough is it to get into nova (mcat and GPAwise)? if I wanna do Emergency Med, would I be able to do it at nova?

thanks

Real Ruby 2000:

No, I didn't go to U of I. I got accepted to the Med school at Rockford, but turned it down to go to Nova. I graduated from Elmhurst College. Getting into Nova is harder if you're not from Florida (from what I hear), but I got in OK. Just get good solid scores, and you'll have no problems.

Yes, you can be an ER doc if you go to Nova. DO's can be ANYTHING that MD's can!!! Don't ever forget it! :D :D

I'm very interested in U of I, being that I'm an Illinois resident. Did you get placed at the Rockford location or did you have a choice of where you could go? BTW...would you mind sharing your scores? You can send me a PM or something if you don't want to post them here. I'm just curious. Your response will be appreciated tremendously. :D

Thanks