Will I have to retake Biology prerequisites ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xDNA

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I saw a post that sorta' worried me. There was another RN 2 MD hopeful on SDN and they mentioned how they had to retake their biology prerequisites because schools didn't accept their microbiology credits or they didn't acknowledge the class for some reason.

I'm concerned because I received my associates degree in Nursing from ECPI "university", which is like one of those DeVry, or Stratford type school. While attending there, I had taken Anatomy & Physiology 1 & 2, as well as Microbiology, all traditional in seat classes with accompanying labs. Will medical schools not count this towards my Biology prerequisite?

Members don't see this ad.

Those are not prerequisite courses for the majority of medical schools, although doing well in them will help your application.

Generally speaking, medical schools require:
- Biology I and II
- Chemistry I and II
- Physics I (and often II)
- Organic Chemistry I (and sometimes II)
- Biochemistry (sometimes)
- Some various humanities classes, psych, soc etc sometimes required, always helpful
- Some schools require unspecified advanced level Bio classes, A&P/Micro will help for this requirement

The science classes need to be taken with labs in the majors department, e.g. Biology for Bio majors, and folks applying from other health professions sometimes run into trouble here as they take bio for allied health students or something like that.

Thanks @gonnif yeah I decided either way to just take Bio 1 and 2 in order to cover all my bases