Will I have to retake MCAT (if applicable up to 3 years)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheEugenius

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm doing the MCAT this summer. I'm finishing my second year at a Canadian university, and I plan on finishing fourth year and possibly taking a year off to do research, etc., and then applying to medical school.

I.e.,

MCAT in summer of 2017

Finish university 2019, and apply to medical school to start in 2020

If the MCAT is applicable for 3 years (on average), will it work?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm doing the MCAT this summer. I'm finishing my second year
What's the rush? Most applicants wait to take it until their third year, and if you're going to be planning on taking a year off anyways, most would do it in their fourth year under that timeline. It's better to take the exam closer to your preferred application cycle, so that if things don't go well, you at least don't have to immediately re-take the MCAT for another shot at admission.

What's the rush? Most applicants wait to take it until their third year, and if you're going to be planning on taking a year off anyways, most would do it in their fourth year under that timeline. It's better to take the exam closer to your preferred application cycle, so that if things don't go well, you at least don't have to immediately re-take the MCAT for another shot at admission.

If the MCAT doesn't go well for me this summer, I'll be able to retake it the next year. I'm just wondering if I make it within the general 3 year rule, which confuses me. I will either apply to go into medical school right after 4th year, or I will take one year off.

Members don't see this ad :)
If the MCAT doesn't go well for me this summer, I'll be able to retake it the next year.
It's best to put yourself in a position where you won't have to re-take the MCAT, and that is usually further on that after your second year of college. How have your prerequisite courses been going? (i.e. have you taken Physics, Biochem, Psych, Orgo, etc.?). Your scores will always remain on your record, and re-takes are always best to avoid if at all possible.

If you took it in 2017, your score would be good until the 2019 application cycle (if I remember correctly on how this works, although taking it in the summer might allow you to use it in the 2020 cycle). Also to clarify: Are you applying to American medical schools or Canadian medical schools? The time-lines for both application processes are quite different. SDN is an American forum and can help with advice concerning that, but if you are hoping to remain in Canada I would check out Premed101, as it's a forum dedicated to Canadian schools.

[QUOTE="TheEugenius, post: 18828589, member: 749601"]If the MCAT doesn't go well for me this summer, I'll be able to retake it the next year. I'm just wondering if I make it within the general 3 year rule, which confuses me. I will either apply to go into medical school right after 4th year, or I will take one year off.

That is a ridiculous reason. You should not be taking it early just in case it doesnt go well. You should spend all the time you need to take it when you will do best. MCAT scores stay with you forever, even if you retake it. Delay it until you are ready and when it will matter. There are a large fraction of schools that have a 2 year MCAT limit.[/QUOTE]

I'm already registered to take it this upcoming summer.

All I need to know, is will it fit within the general 3 year period if I apply to medical school either after 4th year or after a gap year following the 4th year.

will it fit within the general 3 year period
If you take the exam at the end of the summer, you could reasonably apply in the 2019 or 2020 cycles depending on school-specific requirements. I believe it is 2-3 years prior to submitting an application, but you would definitely be pushing the limit either way. I would still strongly emphasize that you really should consider delaying your exam date, if you start to rush things too much you'll only end up shooting yourself in the foot.