Will I lose my inpatient skills if I practice 100% outpt?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fleshwound

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in the process of deciding on my first job out of fellowship (EMG) and I've seen many (non-academic) outpatient positions (private practice and employed) that are 100% outpatient with no inpatient call whatsoever. I can see the appeal however I'm wary about losing my inpatient skills. I presume this may backfire if one day I switch jobs to one that does have inpatient coverage. However, the way things are going, is this going to become the default model one day? so many practices I've spoken to say that call is becoming increasingly burdensome so they are hiring neurohospitalists. One practice didn't even care to hire a hospitalist and still did away with call. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Everyone loses skills they don't use. Neurology as a whole is subspecializing more even by separating inpatient care. So the answer is yes, and just go with it. Pick a niche and run. Nobody can do everything.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, you will. I cringe when the outpatient neurologist cover the inpatient service (usually weekends). They are slower and generally overly cautious.

It depends upon the neurologist. If you are old school, then yes you would be slow, but I am seeing a lot of general neurology in our practice and managing seizures and AMS is not that hard while you are in patient.