Will i make general?

Discussion in 'Military Medicine' started by biafra, Jul 22, 2006.

1. biafra

biafra Junior Member

i am dental school and will graduate at 32, i plan to enroll in the FAP during my residency and thereafter stay on with the military for 20-25 years.my question is will i make the rank of major general within this time? :confused: thanks

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. dexadental

dexadental 1K Member

Dental Student
    Depends upon your dedication and ability to get a long well with those under your command as well as your superiors.

4. GMO2003

GMO2003 Senior Member

Attending Physician
    why would you want to is the question? I guess you plan on becoming an administrator instead of being a dentist...I say go for it...you'd probably get it

5. Apollyon

Apollyon Screw the GST
    Physician Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

As far as I can tell, the chief of the USAF Dental Corps is a brigadier general. There was a resolution in 2002 to raise this to major general, but, as far as I could research, there are no MG dentists in the USAF.

O-8 (Major General) is the highest line officer (undesignated) you can get (meaning, you can be promoted up the chain, and there is no theoretical limit to how many there can be). For 3 or 4 stars (LTG/GEN or VADM/ADM), you need a specific job (like when John Poindexter was National Security Advisor - when he lost his job, he wanted to resign as VADM, but, when a person gives up the job that gave them the third or fourth star, that person reverts to their previous rank 30 days later). The Surgeon General of the USAF is a lieutenant general (currently LTG George P. Taylor, with MG James G. Roudebush as LTG (sel) and next Surgeon General, effective 1 OCT 2006).

6. GMO2003

GMO2003 Senior Member

Attending Physician
    Major General (P) Russell J. Czerw, the current commanding general of the Army Medical Department Center & School, Ft. Sam Houston, TX is a dentist.

MG Joseph G. Webb Jr. also a dentist is the current Deputy Surgeon General of the Army.

7. Pemberley

Pemberley Senior Member

Medical Student
    Why would you want to?

8. Apollyon

Apollyon Screw the GST

For some reason, I thought this guy was talking about the Air Force. I easily found the data you have posted, but thought that that was not what the guy was looking for.

I did not intend ANY slight to Army dentists.

9. biafra

biafra Junior Member

why would i want to join the military? or why would i want to become MG? please clarify your question

10. biafra

biafra Junior Member

sorry guys maybe my post wasnt clear enuf,i really dont care about the branch of the military i join,ofcourse i know there are dentists that are 08.i asked the question because i will be 32 when i join the military i want to know if after 25 years i could still make 08.i am really fascinated with the MG rank :D

11. orbitsurgMD

orbitsurgMD Senior Member

Attending Physician

If this isn't some sort of joke, then you are really clueless. Your age isn't the issue.

You shouldn't expect advancement to that level at all as it isn't part of the normal course of military professional career development. Early and consistent advancement with multiple deep selections for the next grade is more typical for flag ranked officers. In medical/dental, that comes with some clinical practice experience, residency completion and board certification but early preference for administration, selection for advanced officer and management schools (would you be competitive as an applicant to Harvard Business School, for instance) and a train of leadership posts to include CEO of a major military treatment facility or two. Only after that, you need luck and being in the right place at the right time.

At any age, your chances of becoming O-8 are low; there are just too few opportunities and only short windows of eligibility. You are far more likely to be separated and retired before then.

12. FliteSurgn

FliteSurgn This space for rent.

Attending Physician
    I'm not sure if dentistry is the same, but physicians in the AF have automatic advancements (ie. non-competitive) up to O-5 based on time. After that, the promotions are competitive and difficult to attain. So, at least in the AF, it's very easy to make LtCol but it's becoming increasingly difficult to make Col. Making the next step to BG is exceedingly rare for anyone in the medical profession.

13. ShakaZulu

ShakaZulu Member

Dentist
    Excellent advice!

14. HOOAH

HOOAH Junior Member

It is key to remember that getting to general is very difficult! While I am sure you have thought of that, it is probably a more likely goal to shoot for COL. The stats across the whole military range at about, 0.1% of ALL military officers make O-7. But never sale yourself short - if you work hard and impress the right people, general is a real option! You also have to be willing to give up a large part of your patient interaction and be willing to take part in the Admin stuff. Good Luck.

15. Dadoh

Dadoh Member

Dental Student
    From what I know the advancements in the army dental corps are pretty regular. After so many years at the present grade one would become eligable for advancement to the next grade as long as the dentist is in shape, not avoiding assignments, and have not done anything to make anyone too mad. As long as a dentist has specialized and has their ducks in a row they WILL retire as 06. As far as becoming chief that is all politics (hard work (administrative) , knowing the right people and being in the right place at the right time)

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. HooahDOc

Physician

Attending Physician
    Is it true for the medical guys that O6 and up is all admin stuff? Maybe when I'm too old and senile to practice I would consider admin, but not until then. If this is the case then I probably won't stay in after O5.

18. pmoney

pmoney Senior Member

MG(P) Czerw is a Buffalo grad who was on a ROTC scholarship for undergrad at St. Lawrence. He graduated from Buffalo in 86 or 87 and was LTC by 1995. He has attended the Army War College and has published some papers, one of which was titled "Future of ARmy Dentistry" or something like that. Just thought I'd throw this info in here. My dad was his dental school classmate.

I think its highly doubtful that you would expect to become a MG even after 20-25yrs, though MG(P) Czerw seems like an exception, considering he has been out ~20 years from D School.

You can expect to retire O6 pretty much guaranteed by 22 years if you do ANY specialty as a dentist, including the 2year AEGD.

19. former military

Attending Physician

No you won't....
    and the fact that you asked this question means you really did no research before signing up.....

you would have more chance of being a US Senator in the next 25 years

20. deuist

deuist Stealthfully Sarcastic

Attending Physician
    There is a limit on the number of generals:

Very few docs get to the general position. As one poster mentioned, much of the promotion is based upon timing. With Lt. Gen Taylor in charge as the only O-9, hopeful physicians must wait for him to retire for further advancement.

21. NavyFP

NavyFP Senior Member

Attending Physician

Since you asked the question, my answer would be God I hope not.

22. USAFdoc

USAFdoc exUSAFdoc

Attending Physician
    who knows, by that time you may be one of the only doctors still doing military medicine, so the odds may be in your favor

23. Galo

Galo Senior Member
    Physician

Attending Physician

Peach Taylor is a one year trained flight surgeon. He has no recognized specialty training, and is the epitome of an physician who is nothing but an administrator. He has never taken care of an inpatient, and likely has only seen clinic patients. At least that is what I have heard. Anyone heard different? This is part of the reason military medicine is in the problem that it is. Leadership with no experience, knowledge, or intelligence(???).

24. Apollyon

Apollyon Screw the GST

My error on the limit for generals.

As for LTG Taylor, see my post above (ie, he's retiring).

25. Apollyon

Apollyon Screw the GST

Huh? From www.af.mil: "General Taylor is board certified in aerospace medicine by the American Board of Preventive Medicine"

And the ABPM is an accredited board by the ABMS.

His biography also states his surgical internship in Greenville SC (in fact, at my hospital), then (several years later) completion of a residency in aerospace medicine.

As to touching patients, I can't say, but the guy has his training.

26. deuist

Attending Physician
    LTG Taylor is residency-trained in aerospace medicine: http://www.af.mil/bios/bio.asp?bioID=7345

I don't know about his inpatient record, but everything is available on his bio.

27. militarymd

militarymd SDN Angel

Attending Physician
    you do know that "aerospace medicine" is code word for "no real training".

28. Galo

Galo Senior Member
    Physician

Attending Physician
    My mistake, yes he did the one year aerospace course and is subsequently board certified in a field fairly unique to the military, and civil aviation. He is still a doc with ONE year of post medical school training. There is no other residency that is ONE year. He also has a masters of public health. My point is he is not a seasoned physician, as the majority of his career has been in management of others, NOT patients.

29. deuist

Attending Physician
    What kind of training occurs during RAM? I know about the MPH, but do the residents see acute patients during the final year?

30. Apollyon

Apollyon Screw the GST

Right now, there are 5 Generals in the USMC - I don't know the last time outside of war that there were so many. When I was a kid, I remember PX Kelley being the only 4-star, when he was Commandant. Now, the Commandant, Assistant Commandant, Chairman JCS, Commander US Strategic Command, and SACEUR are all jarheads.

<insert USMC bark> (I don't know how to spell it)

31. deuist

Attending Physician
    Generals who serve in roles outside of the military line are not included in those numbers. For example, when Air Force Gen Hayden became the head of the NSA, another spot for a 4-star opened. We then get more generals than the law allows. I don't know why we currently have so many generals for the marines; maybe SACEUR is one of the positions that doesn't count against the quota. I also think that the President and Defense Secretary can bend the rules during wartime.

32. Apollyon

Apollyon Screw the GST

Well, the SACEUR is also the Commander, U.S. European Command, so I think it's very much an operational billet. I find it interesting, also, that GEN Jones was the 32nd Commandant of the USMC, then moved on to become SACEUR (versus Commandant being his terminal billet).

33. former military

Attending Physician

This is the truth... aerospace medicine residency is akin to going to Barnes & Noble and picking up the "Primary Care Medicine for Dummies". It lets others above you know that you have bought into the system and are on board with screwing the beneficiaries and physicians below you in the best interest of the bottom fiscal line.

34. Galo

Galo Senior Member
    Physician

Attending Physician

I did not want to put it so bluntly, but oh the truth it is. See how benefitial it is to vent. Please do not jump all over him and acuse him of post military medicine stress syndrome like I was labeled on some of my rants, but again, how easy it is to put the plain truth out there.